Forums Latest Members

Help me decide between blue smp and defy!

1. Comtaygious Feb 23, 2019

One of these will be my blue watch on a blue strap! I have a mark ii and lots of dress watches.

Help me pick please!

Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300m-Watches-2018-aBlogtoWatch-13.jpg Zenith-Defy-Classic-aBlogtoWatch-23.jpg
    Fliegerchrono likes this.
  2. Ninjabones Feb 23, 2019

Tough call... both are super cool, especially if you want blue. If I had one to choose as my daily workhorse, it'd be the SMP. (I wish I had waited for the new version). Indestructible, plus as of this summer, Omega warranty is now 5 years. However, if you want something a little more unusual and under the radar, then the Zenith gets the nod. Another option to consider in the blue sports watch theme, albeit at a higher price point, is the VC Overseas (the blue dial version is very sweet). Blancpain also has a fifty fathoms version with a brilliant sunburst blue dial. Happy hunting.

Edited Feb 23, 2019
  3. Inpw Feb 23, 2019

Considering you already have a lot of dress watches, maybe go with the SMP as the sportier option?

4. Lbreak Feb 23, 2019

I would go for the smpc, gorgeous and versatile watch. Defy is great but date disc with white background just destroys everything. The skeleton dial version looks cool, but I guess that design language isn't for everyone.

5. MrJKLFoams Feb 24, 2019

Defy skeleton. Cool blue factor. Dont mind smp but defy is something else.

durri70 likes this.
  6. Comtaygious Feb 24, 2019

Thanks for feedback! Date on skeleton is way cooler than date on blue dial defy. My only gripe with skeleton is that not much actually moves behind it.

I'm assuming the titanium in defy makes it fine for a sporty watch, but am I mistaken? Am I going to look crazy with it in outdoor activities? Is smp just way better for a casual watch?

BTW I didn't realize this was so similar to the defy,!

Vacheron-Constantin-Overseas-Automatic-4500V-SIHH-2016-4.jpg
    Edited Feb 24, 2019
    durri70, robinhook and nlogax like this.
  7. Kwijibo Feb 26, 2019

Similar similar, except it' not the same shape, bezek, dial :p anyway both are among my top ten.
    For you choice i would definitly chose a defy. I found the SM really old fashionned. this watch hardly changed for ages.

8. nttisch23 Feb 28, 2019

Personally I’d go with the SMP. I like the dial more and I think that the white date window on the Zenith looks too much like an extension of the 3 o’clock marker. Just my .02

9. Folgono Mar 1, 2019

Tough question. I've recently tried both and I must say that this skeleton Defy is pretty appealing ! And it seems a little bit less chunky than the SMP but I probably don't remember so well.
    I would buy it on bracelet however.

IMG_20190113_122929.jpg
    durri70 and robinhook like this.
  10. bobby shankit Mar 1, 2019

I have only this week bought the NEW SMP steel / sedna gold on blue rubber strap and absolutely love it, the images online don't do it justice, just wish they had put a deployant clasp on it and for me it would be a 10 out of 10 watch.

11. WatchShopping Mar 1, 2019

SMP hands down.

12. valkyrie_rider Mar 1, 2019

It would be helpful to known the following:
    a) Wrist size.
    b) Budget.
    c) Intended use (i.e. solo watch, beater, part of the rotation, etc).
    d) Buying new or pre-owned?
    e) Do you have access to a watchmaker in case of repairs/maintenance?

Some watches photograph well, others not so well, therefore it is a good idea to try them all and see them 'in the metal' before pulling the trigger.

Edited Mar 1, 2019
  13. 10mmauto Mar 1, 2019

I must have missed something. I only see one choice.....

14. Comtaygious Mar 2, 2019

Lol which choice is that?

Thanks for feedback and questions. Here's my answers:
    I like big watches like Mark ii
    Budget fits either wstch
    Buy new but grey market
    I intend to wear to work in rotation and on weekends. I don't want to have to worry about it vs say my glashutte original.
    I'm in San Francisco, but never needed a repair place before.

I might have to buy both someday but that affects the color of the omega then because I wouldn't want two bright blue watches. Or perhaps blue omega and skeleton defy someday.

15. cjoedaniel Mar 2, 2019

That picture of the smp at the top of the thread keeps screaming fake at me.. It's the pip on the bezel that is throwing me off. It should be contained within the triangle..

16. Folgono Mar 2, 2019

I thought that you were hesitating with the Defy skeleton. If you were talking about the normal blue one I would definitely go with the SMP300 then.

Comtaygious likes this.
  17. Comtaygious Mar 2, 2019

Yeah I keep going to back and forth on skeleton.

The date is on the blue zenith throws me off in photos at least now...

18. valkyrie_rider Mar 2, 2019

The Seamaster is probably the more flexible watch: it can be dressed down (e.g. NATO) or dressed up (i.e. metal bracelet or maybe a Staib mesh).

The Zenith is more dressy and probably cannot be properly dressed down.

Given you already have a Glashutte Original, I would go with the Seamaster. Remember that a good diver watch is like a dog: men's best friend.
    :)

ps: I'm in Sunnyvale and when I need a watchmaker, there is one really good in Los Gatos.

Edited Mar 2, 2019
    robinhook likes this.
  19. Comtaygious Mar 2, 2019

Thank you! That is helpful. I do need to wear my go more anyway... I'll start with the smp just need to try on...

20. Folgono Mar 2, 2019

That will be the only true way to make up your mind !