Forums Latest Members
  1. ilayd Dec 10, 2018

First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone in advance who will be willing to share their thoughts on this subject and ask that you to bear with me while I may have some newbie questions.

I have somewhat recently started to seriously consider buying what I would consider a high end watch. That is not to say that this is a spurt of the moment decision. I have been a fan of watches for as long I can remember but my financial situation has not previously allowed me to splurge on such a purchase. Recently, however, I've been lucky enough to start setting funds away and should have enough set aside relatively soon.

That brings me to the question at hand: Which Omega watch should I buy?

I'll start with some info about my preferences as well as some questions which I hope will let me narrow down my search. For some reason I've been a huge fan of the Tag Carrera and was absolutely certain that that would be the watch I would get. However, as I began to research watches more, I began to be drawn to Omegas more each day.

More specifically, I've been most intrigued by either the Speedmaster or Seamaster variants. That being said, I will most likely limit it to one of the watches in those series.

I do not mind buying from the grey market, especially from a seller like @mdgrwl. From all the reviews I've read on this forum, that seems like a great option to go with. I do, however, want the watch to be brand new as I'm a little OCD about small blemishes on pricey things. If there are any, I would like them to have come from me and not a stranger.

My budget will be roughly $4500, give or take $500. This watch will be my every day watch that I plan to wear. So it needs to fit various dress styles from more casual to fancy.

Now a list of my preferences:
    Dial Face Color: I prefer a darker face for a watch, with black or blue being the top choices. I currently own a MIDO that has a black face so I am leaning towards a blue face watch this time for variety, but only slightly.
    Face Extras: I do like chronos because I think they add a nice flare to a watch, so it would be preferred. But I also don't mind the plain face that only has the time and date. I also do like the waves of the Seamaster 300, if the face was to remain plain.
    Bezel: I prefer a single color over split ones (for example red and blue). The bezel can be either a tachymeter or numbers, no real preference there. I would also like the bezel to be on the tougher side. I have read that the Seamaster ceramic bezels are a lot more scratch resistant than painted ones, and that is very appealing.
    Hands: In all honesty, I am heavily favoring simple hands like those of the Speedmaster, however, I don't hate the Seamaster 300 ones and have come to like them more as I continue to look at the watch. I just prefer simple narrow hands over the wider ones. That being said, the arrows are my least favorite (like the ones on Planet Ocean)
    Second Hand: I am heavily leaning towards the longest thin hand being one that is a second hand rather than a timer. There is just something beautiful seeing the hand moving around the circle instead of sitting at the 12 o'clock spot.
    Crystal: I believe I would like to get the sapphire crystal face due to its toughness. As I am not going into space, I don't particularly need to worry about it shattering. However, I don't have too much knowledge about the Heselite crystal and open to hear argument for or against it. As far as the shape, I like that the Speedmaster has a "bubble" look because it's different, but regular flat crystal is just as nice.
    Case Back: Heavily favoring a clear case back so as to see the very cool and intricate parts of the mechanism. A steel back would be ok if a lot of other options are met though.
    Mechanism: I guess this is the million dollar question here (or the $4500 question in this case). I just don't know enough about watch mechanisms yet to really make a decision. From my reading I have learned that the co-axial mechanism is more accurate and advanced compared to the mechanically wound one, so I thiiiink I would prefer that one. But which number? Do they vary that much? And should I consider the mechanical one, even though it's a more dated design?
    Bracelet: Stainless steel due to its longevity. I've had leather bands before and they just end up getting worn out too quickly.

So all that being said, does any particular watch model stand out as one that would fit the most of those aforementioned criteria?

Thank you again, and apologies in advance for such a long post.

superfly likes this.
  2. Ryguy008 Dec 10, 2018

Speedmaster sapphire sandwich. So many really reputable sellers on here have them and it "checks a lot of your boxes"! You'll never go wrong with a Speedmaster and it would be well within your budget

jankymutt, robinhook, kclin and 3 others like this.
  3. Ryguy008 Dec 10, 2018

4. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 10, 2018

The co-axial refers to the escapement mechanism (as opposed to the more common Swiss lever escapement). However, neither is necessarily more accurate than the other. The main supposed plus of the co-axial escapement is that it reduces friction and so wear and tear, possibly extending service intervals, although the jury is still out on that. I have a modern Omega with a co-axial escapement and a Blancpain with a Swiss lever escapement - both have almost exactly the same accuracy (approximately +1.5 sec/day).

You need to decide between wanting a chrono and a central seconds hand. From your post it seems that the latter is more important to you, which rules out most if not all chronos. If so, consider looking at the Aqua Terra 150M models. The latest version come as either 38mm or 41mm case size, a variety of different dial colors, and bracelets/straps, and they are considered "entry level" Omegas these days. In fact, I am constantly fighting the urge to get one myself!

PeterT, superfly and ilayd like this.
  5. kelev_ra Dec 10, 2018

Well, best thing is you head to a omega boutique and put them on your wrist. A lot of watches wear different than they look.
    Omega tends to have lots and lots of special editions etc also.
    Apart from that: a Speedy is always a good choice.
    I personally like the new Railmaster also...

6. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 10, 2018

I second that! A picture of a watch might look amazing to you, but then you get it on your wrist and it's just not right. Alternatively, I've seen watches I didn't like the look of in a picture, but then I saw them in the metal and they were amazing (for me, that's even true for the Speedmaster professional - not so great in pictures, stunning in person),

ilayd likes this.
  7. gostang9 Dec 10, 2018

Some additional questions only you can answer:
    - do you want the watch primarily for how it will 'look'? If so, it really comes down to what you like the look of most and no one else can help you there.
    - do you want a chrono function or just like the 'look'? If the function, then get a Speedy. If only the look, then again it's entirely up to you. (I love the look and have many different chronos - but I rarely use the actual function)
    - you mention wanting a second hand moving on the watch, the far left subdial on the Speedy is a moving second hand. Like you I prefer seeing something 'move' on the watch face for reassurance that it's working.
    - do you want a date function? If so, a standard Speedy won't do...
    - do you want something casual or formal? No reason you can't wear a Speedy with suit (many do it) and no reason you can't wear an AT or GM with jeans. However, some end up finding one or another is either 'dressier' than they want for daily wear, or in some cases not 'dressy' enough. Only you know how you want to wear it but if you're getting only one, it's good to think long and hard about what you prefer.

Buying from grey market makes a lot of sense for modern watches with too much dealer stock (Speedy, AT, SM300, PO, etc). You get a 'new' watch but at a nicely discounted price.

Edited Dec 10, 2018
    ilayd likes this.
  8. gostang9 Dec 10, 2018

The car in your Avatar photo suggests you like vintage as well...? (and that you have great taste in cars) ;)

I started strongly in the modern/new camp and it hasn't taken long at this place to come around to seeing the beauty in naturally 'aged' watches... ::book::

ilayd likes this.
  9. kelev_ra Dec 10, 2018

Exactly... I've never liked the Speedy on pictures... than I had one on my wrist I needed to have it...
    Exactly the opposite happened with the Black Bay... I had it on my wrist and never put it back on again...
    Everyone is different - so choosing a watch by random pics on the internet is pretty hard (I'd say impossible)...

TritonDND and ilayd like this.
  10. ilayd Dec 11, 2018

Thank you all for so much feedback and some new info!

I have definitely looked at these in the Sale part of this forum! Great choice.

Thank you for the information! i guess my original question was to get more information about the differences in the mechanical versus auto co-axial movements. And on top of that, the differences within the co-axials as well. I would imagine that there is some difference in the accuracy, longevity, time reserve, etc. I guess I need to find and read up more on threads regarding the particular movements themselves while I continue my own search.

I think you are right in that I am leaning more towards wanting a central second hand over chrono's. I have looked up AT's and for some reason, I am not as drawn to that one compared to the SM300, Speedy Pro, or the PO designs. However, I dont know if down the line that may be something that peaks my interest more.

I will definitely be stopping by an AD and see how they actually sit and feel on the hand. I just feel terrible wasting people's time as I know I wont be buying it directly from them. So for now, I just want to narrow down my choices so that when I go to the store, I would spend the least of someone else's valuable time.

The watch would be definitely more for how it looks rather than its intended functionality beyond telling time. At the end of the day I do work in an office and its not critical to have a timer. I do like to check my watch for time over my phone so that is its main use. Same goes for the chrono, it looks nice, but its not used. I feel like on my current watch I have maybe used the chrono feature 2 times in about a year. I could have just as well used my cell phone timer. And I do like the second hand sweeping across the face rather than a small dial, so I feel like Im leaning more and more towards that.

As to the date function, I hadnt realized the Speedy didnt have one until you mentioned that! And I've looked at a ton of photos and videos. Although its not a necessity as I am pretty good at keeping track what day it is without the help of a watch, it is a nice feature. So I guess at the end of the day that part is a wash, but thanks for bringing that to my attention!

That sure is my car and very much in the process of being restored. Always loved the look of the 60's mustangs. Thank you for noticing!
    I may come around to appreciating watches in the same way down the line (I dont expect not to), but at least for my first one, I would like to get it brand new so that years down the line, I know that any of that age placed on it was due to my wear. I bet a few in, and I would be interested in exploring used ones as well, especially if it comes to finding specific peaces that are no longer made new.

fskywalker and gostang9 like this.
  11. alam Dec 11, 2018

Perfect timing! The soon to be released, OF-developed function allows users to input parameters (several hundred to choose from a simple pull down menu) and will provide with up to five different recommended watches based on your criteria. You can try the Beta version and provide feedback to our team of developers.

OF Watch Decision Support Tool (Beta Release)

Duracuir1, Taddyangle, BatDad and 4 others like this.
  12. ilayd Dec 11, 2018

Why did I totally fall for that?! ::facepalm1::

I was so excited to actually see which watches it would recommend after I input all of the specs.

alam and hanky6 like this.
  13. pongster Dec 11, 2018

Co-axial are also mechanical movements. As explained by a fellow member, the co-axial refers to the escapement used (as opposed to the lever).

Maybe you meant automatic v manual.

Anyway, that said, speedy is way to go. If you want a blue dial, there is a speedy variant with co-axial movement in blue.

14. ilayd Dec 11, 2018

You’re right, I was misstating what I meant. I was comparing manual v automatic.

The only problem I see with a speedy with a co-axial is that it may be out of my allotted price range compared to a SM. Which would mean either a SM with co-axial or a speedy with a manual mechanism.

15. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 11, 2018

Also remember that a Speedy, of which I have two, won’t give you the central second hand you might be after (unless you always run the chrono). They sure are beautiful though!

16. alam Dec 12, 2018

looks like the site was overwhelmed with high demand/traffic :)

haqq777, ilayd and STANDY like this.
  17. superfly Dec 12, 2018

I don't believe Omega makes a watch that fits all your criteria / preferences. I second (or third, or whatever) the sapphire sandwich recommendation. I think you would be quite pleased with it. I mean, who wouldn't?

omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-professional-chronograph-42-mm-31130423001006-l.png
    Show us the pictures after you make your choice. You can hardly go wrong with any Omega in my opinion.

jankymutt likes this.
  18. rob#1 Dec 12, 2018

How about something a little different - the Railmaster with a blue dial, simple baton hands plus a moving second hand with bonus lollipop. And it’s also available with a black dial...

C031BA3B-7298-4084-9572-43B00E55C460.png

jankymutt and Duncanmu like this.
  19. Risto Dec 12, 2018

You can't go wrong with the Moonwatch. The design has worked for 60 years. I know you said you don't want a vintage watch, but an alternative for Speedy would be Heuer CS3111.

thelinendial likes this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 12, 2018

Only bit of advice you need is get out there and try them all on,without brand name blinkers on.
    So many watches over the years I have been keen on until I tried them on.

You will be surprised how many second threads from guys like yourself went out money in hand and came back with a different watch and brand.

ilayd likes this.