Forums Latest Members
  1. Cobain Dec 17, 2015

Hello, fairly new to the forum.

Was looking at this omega i want to buy really bad im completely in love with it however i i would like to get a little facts about the watch
    if possible.
    watch

Does anyone know if the bezel is resistant to scratches? cause i do know once a ceramic bezel gets damaged thats it it stays.

I know Co-axial is good and reliable and for some reason only offered by omega (not even patented)

Any other down sides anyone can think of?

Thanks a bunch to anyone that replies.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2015

3. Cobain Dec 17, 2015

The bezel can take hits? After all its a diving watch.
    It is better than the aluminum counterpart?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2015

Ceramic will crack if you hit it hard enough but I've never seen a Seamaster Pro with a cracked bezel yet, the aluminium bezels got scratched very easily and most inserts have at least some scuff marks after a year of use.

5. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Dec 17, 2015

They're lovely when they catch the light. Mine says hello.
    image.jpeg

6. jcmartinez98 Dec 17, 2015

Some will poopoo that's it's not an "in-house movement"

Not a reason not to buy if you love it

7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 17, 2015

The watch you're considering is really a great watch, inside and outside. I'm fairly certain that my next Omega will be the blue version of the same watch.

I work in the mining industry, where ceramic is used frequently as a protective shield in areas of high wear (where rocks come in contact with machinery). Industrial ceramic (which is used in these watch bezel inserts) is really, really tough. But as tough as industrial ceramic can be, it is not scratch proof nor is it unbreakable. I wear a Planet Ocean as a knock-around watch and plan to take it diving with me in the near future, so I've already accepted the fact that it's going to get dinged up. Here's a photo of my watch after about 6 months of wear; I'm guessing the bezel got dinged while reaching into a bag of golf clubs.

ding.jpg

Edited Dec 17, 2015
  8. Cobain Dec 17, 2015

Thanks for the help its more than i expected. I don't really care for the in-house movement, but does anyone know the difference between the two? (in house and not)

That scratch looks painful, thats my biggest concern is easy scratch, im the type of guy who doesn't ever buy pre-owend for the new pristine look and wears it with care, get really upset when it damages.
    Anyone with the watch on-hand and experience could testify? thanks.

Care to share your experience ?

9. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 17, 2015

Also, it's my understanding that the co-axial escapement is indeed patented. It was patented by George Daniels (inventor of the co-axial escapement) in 1980, presumably in the United Kingdom. Daniels sold the exclusive right to manufacture co-axial escapements to Omega in the late 1990s.

http://www.chronomaddox.com/daniels_co-ax.html

10. Cobain Dec 17, 2015

11. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 17, 2015

12. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Dec 17, 2015

Well it's not a daily wearer any more as I have a few I rotate, although I mainly stick to the titanium PO due to it being lighter than the stainless steel Seamaster. When I do wear it though I love the look, especially its shine and it fits just fine under a sleeve of a formal shirt (the 2500 being a little thinner then the 8500 in the PO). I don't mind the bracelet although I prefer the plainer one of the POs. Also I find mine has a shorter power reserve than the PO, ie the PO seems to keep running for longer periods of un-wear, but this could be dependent on a number of factors so maybe not the watch. At the end of the day it's a great watch and while it is essentially the entry level modern Omega, it's not a compromise. If you love the look, then go for it.

13. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 17, 2015

Getting back to the ceramic issue, I may not have made one thing clear: there is likely no other material used on a rotating bezel that is more scratch-resistant than ceramic. But scratches can still occur.

edit:
    I suppose if the bezel were just stainless steel or even precious metal, some scratches could be polished out. I'm not sure how easy it would be, or whether it's even feasible to polish scratches off of a ceramic bezel. I think if a ceramic bezel got scratched to the point that it's unbearable for you to wear it in public, the best option would be to just get a new insert installed.

I actually have a bit of a strategy in play for my Planet Ocean: it'll be my diving watch for a few years, but I plan on eventually buying a PloProf to use as my diving watch, and when I do I'll send the Planet Ocean in for a full service (which will be due about the time I buy the PloProf) which will almost certainly include replacement of the bezel insert.

Edited Dec 17, 2015
  14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 17, 2015

My blue one says hi
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Jones in LA likes this.