Forums Latest Members

Help!! Is this bezel correct - Cal 861 145.0022 from 1986(ish)

1. NYCOmega Aug 23, 2018

Hello,

Sorry to be returning with a request for help. I purchased a full set 145.0022 861 Speedmaster with papers that matched the location month and year of my birth. I hope I wasn't too eager to pull the trigger because I've noticed something on the bezel that has me really worried...

On the bezel I can see the dot touching some of the numbers and I am not sure if in the late 80's it should look like this (most notably @ 140 and 150 as well as 65, 70 and 90). I have always thought there would be a very small gap. Now I'm also worried if the "Speedmaster" long S and R are correct, and whether this dial should have the step and sunken registers with concentric circles (which it does). The "swiss made T's" look OK (to me). Finally, I believe this is a 1171/1 bracelet and can see end links that look to be properly stamped with "633" facing the correct direction for original pieces. I don't have the skill or tools to open the caseback and check (and don't see the serial # anywhere) but the papers say its: 48220xxx (is this is aligned with a watch sold 1986?).

I am humbly requesting the trained eyes of this forum to double check this for me. I have a return window so don't hold back in fear of upsetting me, I can return this piece. I hope I don't have to though and, if all correct, this would be an important watch for me.

Thank you so much,

2. ext1 Aug 23, 2018

NYCOmega likes this.
  3. mr_yossarian Aug 23, 2018

It's good and correct.

4. NYCOmega Aug 23, 2018

Hi guys,

I want to take a moment and say thank you for your replies. ext1, thanks for those links. It does appear that the "drop" 7 font on the bezel matches up to a late 80's bezel so that was good to see.

Mr_Yossarian, thanks for your assessment. Clearly based on your past posts you know your stuff when it comes to speedy's so thank you very much addressing my concern.

I thought I'd put a good list together of areas to check before pulling the trigger and was angry at myself that I hadn't done enough homework on bezels to know if what I was looking at was legitimate (to be honest since I had read that DON, "220" etc were predominately features of earlier models I didn't give the bezel much thought). I hadn't noticed the numbers being so close to the dots. I'd spent over an hour looking at images of vintage speed masters online and failing to see any dot's blending into numbers so freaked out a bit.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has seen the same thing on their bezel I'll always welcome more re-assurance...

All the best

5. auxpomme Aug 23, 2018

amazing how much homework actually needs to be done regarding bezels. :) i'm still reading mwo and feel i'm far away from being ready to pull the trigger.

NYCOmega likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 23, 2018

DNN it’s correct. Only need to look at the placement of the dot near 70 and lack of seriph. This I believe would be close to the last to have that bezel.

Edited Aug 23, 2018
    southard and NYCOmega like this.
  7. JanV Aug 23, 2018

My Extract confirmed -82 Speedy serial 45xx says hi, feel free to compare. :)

1881FBC6-792F-480A-81A2-84239600D218.jpeg 0AFC3CC6-9E60-40BD-9C8B-0A141885EE62.jpeg
    red crowned and NYCOmega like this.
  8. boogedyboo Aug 23, 2018

Bezel and in general, the watch seems to be in very good condition. Congratulations on the purchase :thumbsup:

NYCOmega likes this.
  9. gdupree Aug 23, 2018

A copy of Moonwatch Only will curb future panic attacks of this nature.

Good looking watch. Congrats.

NYCOmega likes this.
  10. NYCOmega Aug 23, 2018

Thank you to everyone for talking me off the ledge. There really is a great sense of community here and I'm looking forward to stopping in more often to learn more.

I would love a copy of M.O. At this time I think if I start breaking out a book on the watch I have been talking about for years (and now staring at on my wrist) my wife will think I've truly lost it. Would be fun to leave on the coffee table and see how long it takes her to notice though.

JanV - beautiful watch and thank you for the point of reference.

Thanks again guys!

JanV and Taddyangle like this.