Forums Latest Members

Help insuring & shipping internationally

1. nttisch23 Jul 5, 2019

Hello OF,

I am reaching out for any advice that can be shared my way. I am in the process of shipping a high value timepiece from USA to New Zealand. I want to insure this to the full value. The problem I am having is anyone I choose to ship with (Fedex, USPS, DHL) I’m pretty sure will never pay out more than $1,000 I believe if the package is lost or damaged etc, which is unbelievable considering they let you pay for whatever value insurance you want. I contacted Parcel Pro, but I cannot insure anything internationally without a Federal EIN.

My question(s) is does anyone have a Parcel Pro account that would be willing to help me out with shipping this item, or is there another course/ shipping courier that I can insure to New Zealand. Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice is helpful and if you have any questions please PM me :)

Edited Jul 5, 2019
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 5, 2019

I found it very easy to get a parcel pro account. It took about a day. You will need a federal tax ID which is easy and simply name some business references. They can also help walk you through the shipping steps.

If you are paranoid about a Tax ID, don't be. It's no big deal. It's almost instantaneous.

blubarb, nttisch23 and CJpickup57 like this.
  3. nttisch23 Jul 5, 2019

It’s $277 for the Federal EIN, which I need to ship internationally I was told. I do not ship enough internationally in order to get this just for the one package. I am not saying that the buyer is not important enough, I will do so if it is the only
    Option. I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with another courier or if someone would be willing to help me with this one package.

4. omegaswisst Jul 5, 2019

Have you considered Secursus? The founder @VersusTime is a member on OF

https://www.secursus.com/

Very easy to set up and they charge 0.6% of the value of the item you are shipping. They give instructions on how to package the item and then it's just a matter of entering tracking number and name of carrier, short description of item and payment via credit card.

I have not needed to make a claim with them so far (touch wood) so can't really comment on how efficient this process is.

Some more information in the following thread:

https://omegafms.net/threads/watches-and-insurance-during-shipping-solution.83160/page-2oru

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 5, 2019

I paid nothing. Make sure you are looking at sole proprietor .. no employees.

blubarb likes this.
  6. blubarb Jul 6, 2019

I use Parcel Pro. Haven't had to make a claim touch wood - but I think you have to use USPS, FedEx or DHL ( I believe Parcel Pro is owned by DHL)
    $.26 per $100 for domestic. $.36 per $100 for international.

Thanks, Omegaswisst. I will check out Secursus

7. blubarb Jul 6, 2019

This last link seems broken

8. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Jul 6, 2019

blubarb likes this.