Forums Latest Members
  1. 123kclau May 13, 2019

So guys, as stated in the thread title, I am on a quest for inexpensive vintage Omegas in my country. The market on this watches here lacks a lot of information, buy I hope to find a hidden gem buried between the never ending pile of redials.

I selected these three options and, since I am new to this world, I would like your expert takes on them.
    Let's call them A, B and C.
    Are they redials? What is wrong with them?
    I may ask the sellers for more pictures if any of them pass the initial bar.

Thanks so much in advance.

WATCH A:

A(1).png A(2).png A.png

WATCH B:
    B(1).png B.png

WATCH C:
    C(1).png C.png

2. rincondeltiempo May 13, 2019

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Watch A): redial. Pictures are not clear enough to give a further diagnose
    Watch B): Run
    Watch C): I would pass.

All of this could be totally wrong, but that's my opinion.

Best,
    Javi.

123kclau likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo May 13, 2019

The second one is the only one that hasn't been redialed and is actually one of my favourite Omega references. Fantastic model, but this one is rather worn which ruins the appeal, sadly.

4. 123kclau May 13, 2019

Thank you guys for the input.
    I'll pass the three.

Spotting a redial is difficult for a newbie and Omega's website is not of much help.

The search is not easy but I am not giving up.

Observer likes this.
  5. cristos71 May 13, 2019

Agreed, this is a jumbo ref IIRC, the movement looks rough, but that can be fixed, it's the gold cap wear through on the case and lugs that's the major problem here.

6. 123kclau May 13, 2019

I am sad about the watch B condition but happy for my almost hit.
    For the record, seller is asking 300 USD for it.

Thoughts on contenders D and E?
    As always, thanks in advance.

Disclaimer: All watches I bring here are, according to the sellers, original dials. I apologize if I post any monstrosity.

WATCH D:

D(1).png D.png

WATCH E:

E(2).png E(3).png E.png

7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 13, 2019

I would suggest you first read this thread...all the way through...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Then read it again...

And then start asking questions.

Don't get me wrong : the goal behind my words is trying to help you to help yourself : 'give a man a beer, and he'll drink for a day...teach him how to brew beer, well...' ...

8. 123kclau May 13, 2019

Thanks for the good advice.
    I certainly read that topic before starting, but I think a trained eye comes with time and I did not want my first beer to be a spoiled one.
    That is why I asked for help.
    Thanks!

lando, bardamu and eugeneandresson like this.
  9. rincondeltiempo May 13, 2019

Your first beer will be a spoiled one. As well as the 10th! You need to get your hands on these watches and feel them, that should give you quite a bit of experience!

10. 123kclau May 13, 2019

This message makes me want to pull the trigger on that CK 2493 and call it a day.
    I guess a uncarbonated lager is better than a rotten one.

11. rincondeltiempo May 13, 2019

You can always sell it for what you pay for (or a small loss) if it goes wrong. Or you could service it. You just have to look at possibilities! Sometimes the best route is the one that appears the worst!

Edit: I'm sure the seller will take considerate offers.

12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 13, 2019

...but first, you need to be able to spot the redials and the turds, if you want to find the gems...and to do this you need some knowledge at spotting issues (hence the thread ref ... i think most things wrong with all of these watches is covered there), and investing time in looking at lots and lots of pictures, and sucking up all the stuff on this here forum. There is no end to the learning OP! Anyhoo...

13. rincondeltiempo May 13, 2019

Oh yeah for sure! I wasn't trying to substitute that. I just think that all the learning is made better if you can actually feel the items. It doens't mean you have to buy them though. You can go to auction houses on viewing days and just take a look.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  14. Nathan1967 May 13, 2019

Personally, I wouldn’t buy any of the watches you’ve posted so far. I’d be more inclined to buy one of the watches in our Private Sellers section here on OF. You’ll find much better watches, maybe for a little more.....but you’ll be happier in the long run.

15. Tigeranteater May 13, 2019

That!

rincondeltiempo likes this.
  16. 123kclau May 13, 2019

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately that is not possible due to living in a third world country with very bad customs.

17. Edward53 May 13, 2019

Inexpensive, vintage, Omega: it takes luck and experience to put those words together in a good way.

18. michael22 May 13, 2019

Is there a decent watchmaker in your country?
    If not, your plan may be dead in the water.

123kclau likes this.
  19. Vitezi May 13, 2019

Hello @123kclau - welcome to the forum! Before you spend your cash on a vintage watch, I'd encourage you to slow down and read these threads:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/for-the-new-members-read.23288/

Hunting for a vintage watch takes patience. Take your time; read the (free) advice on this forum; see what other collectors prefer.

But, as @rincondeltiempo says, there is a lot to be learned by getting your hands on an actual watch. If you have no other options, the Watch B that you show above is a place to start. Hopefully you can buy it cheaply, and then get it straight to a watchmaker for a complete movement service. Buy a new strap for it, and wear it every day. Take pictures of it on your wrist and post them in this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/ Most of all, have fun. That's what this silly hobby is all about. :)

20. smorrisonmd May 13, 2019

If in fact this is a jumbo, it is IMHO still a reasonable buy at $300. Dial is very nice.
    Replate and service, and you would have a nice piece for ~ $550.