Forums Latest Members

Help! I'm looking for advice on a particular date range for a gift

1. Nicky Sep 3, 2018

Hi all, it's my first time posting, but i've read loads of threads on here in my research in buying my own first Omega (a speedmaster reduced - but before you sigh, my wrist is just too small for a full sized pro and I totally love it!)
    It's my partner's birthday coming up, and he's been caught browsing some speedmasters when he thinks i'm not looking and i thought it might be a nice idea to surprise him with one too.

My dilemma is I'd like to find one that has some sort of significance or meaning since it's for a special birthday, and i'm going around in circles trying to find something that fits the bill - I hoped I could at least get some suggestions on a model to hunt for from those of you who know WAY more than I do about these beauties!

So, here's the criteria I've been working on so far...
    1991 and 2000 are both really significant years for him
    An Olympic edition from 2000would be a huge bonus - particularly if it had a black face (easier for old eyes to read)
    The broad arrow speedmasters would also tick a box, as the connection is Archery
    I'd like to if at all possible keep it around $3000 - am i dreaming, or is it possible to find something that will fit in that price range?

I haven't been able to find an olympic edition from 2000 - did they not make one? I don't think a Swatch watch would have the same impact as a speedy as a birthday gift somehow.... ;)

TIA!!

2. divetime Sep 3, 2018

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. Nicky Sep 3, 2018

Thanks! I should have said, I have already been scouring chrono24, eBay, and any other reference source i can find. It's just confusing! For example, on chrono24 I did a search for broad arrows from 2000, and there's apparently 25 of them. One of them has this text in the listing: "The Omega Speedmaster 'Broad Arrow' was first introduced in 2002 and drew design inspiration from the original 1957 Speedmaster. Signature elements include the engraved tachymeter bezel and the 'Broad Arrow' hand-set. Reference 3851.50.11 was added to the collection around 2004 and features a lacquered black dial with Arabic numerals. Serial Number: 78030xxx."
    so,.... according to their listing, it's a 2000 Olympic broad arrow, which was first introduced in 2002....

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 3, 2018

Hi Nicky,

Is your partner's name Simon by any chance?

Just a guess...

Cheers, Al

sjg22 likes this.
  5. Nicky Sep 3, 2018

good guess Al ;)

Archer likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 4, 2018

I admit it was a bit of an educated guess. :) The two years you noted were the big clue for me. Can't say that we ever spoke that I recall, but I'm sure he and I would have been at some of the same events in the late 90's.

Anyway I did some digging and I don't think Omega released an Olympic edition for the Sydney Olympics.

On the Omega web site, there is an area under the section called "Planet Omega" called "Heritage" and on that page there is a link for "Vintage" watches, and that will bring you to a page where you can select various filters to look at model information for older watches. This link should take you to a page full of Omega Speedmaster models as that is the filter I selected:

https://www.omegawatches.com/vintage-watches?product_collection=3178

If you scroll through the options you can see dates associated with the models they show. The first Broad Arrow Speedmaster I see there is one they called the "Replica" and it was released in 1998 according to this information:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-speedmaster-replica-st-345-0222

There is one watch that appears to be associated with the year 2000, but it's not likely to be in the $3000 range, as it's 18k yellow gold:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-speedmaster-apollo-soyuz-3195-59-00

Not sure how easy it would be to get any Broad Arrow model for that sort of price. There are some automatic Speedmaster models listed there that appear to be from 1991, but those are smaller watches and not with Broad Arrow hands.

I hope this helps some - if you need any other information on this, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers, Al