Forums Latest Members
  1. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

Hi guys,

Recently sold a TAG Heuer Carrera through an Australian website called Gumtree. Found a seller who contacted me through the website and agreed to the price I was asking for. I sent the item the next day through Australia Post locally, all intact. Have sold a few times and never faced problems. Now the buyer claims that the watch wasn't inside the box. I did handle the box at the Post Office and opened it up (to give the watch a final cleaning to remove smudges). I'm pretty sure CCTV picked that up and it was only a few days ago so they should have it in record. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 4, 2014

This is a tricky situation... I'm actually quite interested in hearing how this gets resolved. What IS the protocol when a buyer claims a watch isn't in the shipping box?

I'm sorry for your situation. Others should chip in soon with actual advice.

3. om9c Aug 4, 2014

I hope you get a positive outcome unlike me.:( These internet scams would get even more bigger & larger as days pass by.

4. repoman Aug 4, 2014

I've read of many scammers on gumtree... can you clarify, did you receive payment in full before sending? I assume so. If not, why on earth would you send the watch without payment first? If buyer claims no watch in box, this is what shipping insurance is for, isn't it?

5. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

I'm absolutely baffled to be honest with you. Don't understand how people can stoop this low. It was a domestic sale! I just sent PayPal a reply to the claim with photographic evidence of the watch as well as the proof of shipment. The seller claims that there were "coins" in the box. Argh. Thank goodness I handled the watch at the Post Office physically and my girlfriend was with me (incase I need to sign an affidavit later on). I'm going to speak to a friend who is a lawyer to see if I can take any legal action against this person.

6. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

I received the payment in my PayPal account. I sold a Universal Geneve just a few days before and that was a smooth transaction, hopefully PayPal should take that into consideration? The only problem is that I did not opt for insurance, which in retrospect I should have. Learning from my mistakes..

7. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

The buyer claims that there were "COINS" inside the box. I'll post the exact message:

"OK I'm not sure if you're to blame here or someone else but this is absolute bullshit. I received the item rather quick (got it today) and opened the box and there's no watch - instead some fucking coins.I have all email proof saying he was shipping the watch as well as the box + warranty card + booklet/ manual WHICH (everything except the ACTUAL watch) i did receive the booklets, box and warranty cardI don't know if Australia post is to blame here or you but IF IT WAS YOU INTENTIONALLY, have a heart mate. Thank fuck i didn't bank transfer the money"

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2014

9. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

Hello everyone,

Just an update on the case, and how I dealt with this person. I am attaching the email I sent him and the response I received.

Seriously considering legal action. Definitely going to the police. His intentions were clear. All of this happened in the wee hours of the morning (even more suspicious). Checked my phone and saw the email on a 5 AM bathroom break.

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 7.17.39 am.png Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 7.20.04 am.png
  10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 4, 2014

Buying USPS insurance only protects against loss during shipment - that is, if it never arrives at the addressee's door.

11. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

And this is the email I received from PayPal:

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 7.22.24 am.png

12. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

The above case clearly highlights inherent flaws within PayPal's structure/system. If I hadn't taken affirmative action I am certain that the case would have gone against me.The wicked, malicious intent of this individual is clear. I really think I should take this to the police. What do you guys think? Thank goodness I was quick to act and now have my money back, phew.

13. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 4, 2014

Could have been a setup. Could have been as he says. If so, he has an a..hole for a brother. Not sure what kind of a sense of humor the Aussies have. Glad it worked out.

14. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

I find all of it extremely odd. Logically speaking, if his brother was playing a prank on him I would assume that he would simply remove the watch from the box. Filling the box with coins? Seems like this was well thought out and planned, because the weight of the coins would be similar to that of the watch. I'm going to speak to a few lawyer friends for advice.

15. knozkhi Aug 4, 2014

I quit smoking 8 days ago. It's been a struggle to say the least. I take the entire episode as a personal victory because throughout this debacle I didn't light up! :D

16. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 4, 2014

Congrats on giving up smoking. Amazed you didn't turn to drinking with all of these games.

rhetoric and Darlinboy like this.
  17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 4, 2014

Extremely well played, I'd say.

OK, how can I not post this?

rhetoric, alam, tpatta and 1 other person like this.