Forums Latest Members
  1. balkanrod Nov 11, 2021

Hello,
    I'd welcome help identifying the vintage and model of my grandfather's Omega watch. He lived from 1904-1982. I've searched through hundreds of photos of similar watches online, but have not been able to find this exact match. I suspect that it could be from the 1950s, when he was mayor of a city in upstate New York (1952-1954) IMG_2692.jpg IMG_2693.jpg IMG_2695.jpg . It's pretty scratched up, the face looks like it has some corrosion, and has not been serviced in decades, but the hands still operate when wound. Unfortunately, I don't know how to open the case to offer more photos.

On the back of the case, there is an engraving -- a star, followed by the words "14k GOLD FILLED."

My grandmother gave me the watch when I graduated high school in 1982, shortly after my grandfather died.

Thanks for any advice!

sleepyastronaut likes this.
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 11, 2021

A caliber 351/354 bumper in a gold filled American case from the early 50's, I guess.
    Everything looks correct and original including the crown.

Foo2rama, balkanrod and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. balkanrod Nov 11, 2021

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I had found lots of similar-looking watches online, but none that also have the circle connecting all of the seconds increments. Would that be consistent with the caliber 351/354 bumper? Apologies for my ignorance about watches and unfamiliarity with the proper vocabulary. Very much appreciated.

4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Nov 11, 2021

Great heirloom. Ditch the "twist o' flex" braclet, put on a nice leather strap and have a local watch shop polish the crystal (not the watch case). I think it will look quite nice and be a great remembrance of your grandfather.

Foo2rama and sleepyastronaut like this.
  5. balkanrod Nov 11, 2021

Thank you for the advice!

6. DoctorEvil Nov 11, 2021

Have you tried opening up the watch and looking at the movement and inside the case back? It would likely have all the info you're after. That's how I confirmed the identity of my Dad's old Seamaster.