Forums Latest Members
  1. markalex Jan 25, 2023

Hi, new here and hoping people may be able to help.

I recently inherited this watch. My uncle wore it for as long as I can remember and, after he died in 2009, my aunt wore it. She passed away last year and it has come to me. I am not familiar with Omegas and searching online suggests it might be a 14770 (?!?), but all the images I can find have "AUTOMATIC" on the face under "OMEGA".

I'd be really interested to find out more, purely out of curiosity, as the watch has far more sentimental value to me than anything else.

Thanks in advance. IMG_2873.jpg IMG_2874.jpg

janice&fred likes this.
  2. markalex Jan 25, 2023

Apologies for the size of the images...

3. Syzygy Jan 25, 2023

Welcome to OF, and condolences for your loss. No apologies necessary, we like large in focus images as it helps us to ID. I'm no expert on these, but it looks like you have an honest Seamaster from the 50's or 60's would be my guess. The information that will be most helpful in ID-ing the watch will be on the inside of the case back. That will tell you the reference, and while you're at it, you can gather the movement number from the movement. If you are not comfortable opening it, I'd suggest finding a watchmaker near you that can assist. They can also provide an estimate for the cost of a service, which would be recommended, as the lubricants in the movement dry up and get gummy over time. Seeing this is a sentimental piece, it's worth getting it serviced by an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account. If you let us know your general location, we might be able to recommend a watchmaker in your area.

You can also use the search function to dig in to previous posts on vintage Seamasters. You'll learn a lot, and get a good feel for the community while researching.

4. markalex Jan 25, 2023

Thanks, that's really helpful. I plan to get it serviced, so will get the reference and movement number then. I'm in London and have had Swiss Time Services in Essex recommended, but happy to hear about others.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 25, 2023

Unless you have the proper equipment, don't try to open it yourself. That model opens through the front.

janice&fred, Syzygy and X350 XJR like this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 25, 2023

Ref 14775 would be the hand wind version, likely what OPs watch is.

janice&fred likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 25, 2023

Looks like somebody had a try though.

SMCBM.jpg

efauser and janice&fred like this.
  8. markalex Jan 26, 2023

Noted, as I say, it will go to be serviced

9. markalex Jan 26, 2023

Thanks, that makes sense

10. markalex Jan 26, 2023

No, that's just muck and probably residue off the cheap strap. I've given it a quick clean...

260123.jpg

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 26, 2023

Excellent, looks much better. That'll be a nice watch after a service and a clean.

janice&fred likes this.
  12. markalex Jan 26, 2023

Thanks, and I will need to source an appropriate strap for it.

13. PlainVanilla Jan 26, 2023

Ref. 14775 Seamaster de Ville from 1960-1962.