Forums Latest Members

Help IDing a Drawer Find

1. epl108 Dec 20, 2013

I know nothing about this watch or about Rolex pieces in general, but found this in my Grandfather's house and was hoping some of the experts here could give me some info on it - What is it? When is it from? Is it worth anything? I know there is only one picture, and it's not great, but any little help is greatly appreciated. The caseback is rounded and not marked. rolex1.JPG

Thanks!

2. ulackfocus Dec 20, 2013

Looks like a 50's bubble back. Can't tell you much more because I'm not a Rolex guy.

3. epl108 Dec 20, 2013

Thanks, Dennis. Hopefully some of the Rolex guys will chime in and help me narrow it down.

4. Interstatetime Dec 20, 2013

You would really need the number from the inside of the case back to know for sure but the way the lugs are shaped I think it might be a late '40s Oyster Perpetual Bubble Back. It looks to be in nice shape. What is the good old pocket watch lying on top of your Nikon lens cap?

JohnnyC

5. epl108 Dec 20, 2013

Thanks for the info, Johnny. Can I bring it to any Rolex AD and have them open it up for me and get the number that way or will it have to be sent away somewhere due to its age/uncertainty?

Regarding the pocket watch, I was getting ready to create another thread on that one. I also came across this watch at my Grandfather's house and have no information on it. Also, my pictures are terrible, and the watch is currently at my parents' house so I can't take any more at the moment though I'll see if my dad can take some for me and send them down during the holidays.

All I know is that it says "Waltham" and has a small dial within the main dial at the 6 o'clock position that I assume is a seconds dial. The watch "opens" on both sides - the pictures show the front open, and the back has a door that opens just the same, although it only opens to show another metal casing, not the actual movement. There is beautifully detailed etching/engraving around the outside of each side of the case and I'll try and capture that in the images I get my father to take for me. There is also beveling around the entire perimeter of the watch which you can see if you look very closely at the pictures. I believe the watch is also stamped 14K but I cannot recall where I saw the stamp - again, I'll have my dad take a picture.

Know anything about these? Or know anyone who might? Or is there another thread around here I might link this one to?

Thanks in advance! waltham2.JPG waltham1.JPG

6. ulackfocus Dec 20, 2013

It's called a hunter case when it opens like that. You might try asking about it on www.vintagewatchforums.com since a lot of American pocket- and wrist-watch collectors hang there.

epl108 likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2013

For the pocket watch, if you get the serial number off the movement, post it here and I can tell you some information on it...

Cheers, Al

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 26, 2013

9. epl108 Jan 24, 2014

Just got the Rolex in my possession again and was able to pull the following numbers off of it:

5015 between the bottom lugs
    545383 between the top lugs

Does this help with shedding more light onto the watch?

Thanks again!

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 24, 2014

Just google rolex 5015....

11. epl108 Jan 25, 2014

Tried that but didn't come up with much info...

12. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 2, 2014

The 5015 is a late '40s bubbleback. It apparently came in both 14K and steel, and had an engine turned bezel. This one may have a replacement smooth bezel, and the dial was refinished.

epl108 likes this.