Forums Latest Members

Help ID'ing a 60's Seamaster Deville. Originality Questions.

1. mktsc Dec 3, 2015

New member, first Omega. I've been searching for a 60's Seamaster for some time, and recently picked this one up for just under $300. Seller states it as a "circa 1960" Seamaster in perfect working condition. Caseback states 168.017 SP, 562 Movement.

After some digging, it doesn't look like the crown is original, as it's smooth and doesn't have the Omega logo. Also with a serial number beginning with 185, I'm guessing this is a '61 model.

Looking for more information on this watch, i.e. originality, etc.

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 3, 2015

I don't think that caseback goes with the rest of the watch. That reference number goes to a Constellation C-case but may have been used on a Seamaster, although I can't find an example. The more I look at it, I have more questions than answers.
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 3, 2015

Its a nasty bastard made up from parts of unrelated watches.

The Seamaster DE VILLE is a front loading case, which this obviously isn't.

As noted, the case reference is also not for a Seamaster. I have doubts ANY part of the case is actually Omega.

hoipolloi and efauser like this.
  4. mktsc Dec 4, 2015

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Do the movement and dial look good and original though? I'd like to try and get a correct case and crown.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 4, 2015

I would return it. If you got it on eBay, regardless of whether the seller has a no return policy, unless the issues were spelled out in the listing, you can get your money back because it sure as hell isn't what it was sold as. You can pick up a good one, in original condition, for less than what you'd be paying to correct it.

6. mktsc Dec 4, 2015

Thanks I've contacted the seller with the information gained here. I looked back at the listing and it lists the case as original, so I have grounds for a dispute.

Thanks for your help guys. I thought this watch was a pretty good price for an original watch that doesn't appear to have been redialed, but now it seems not so much...

7. mktsc Dec 4, 2015

So the seller has agreed to refund my money. Other than eBay, where's a good reputable watch in the same price range?

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 4, 2015

9. mktsc Dec 4, 2015

You're awesome thanks, I emailed the seller.

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 4, 2015

Make sure you post photos here before you close the deal, just to make sure there's nothing wrong. I would ask for movement pics, but the seller has been a member for a while so others may disagree.

11. mktsc Dec 4, 2015

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look legit? Seller stated he lost all info for his watches in an office fire. Watch was in a safe and incurred no damage. He's reticent to open the watches up and get pics of movement/serial numbers/etc.

12. WatchMeWin Dec 4, 2015

I also am looking for as much information as I can get on a Seamaster Deville (circa 1965). This watch was a family heirloom and as such I would never sell it (it was given to me by my parents who inherited it from my grandfather, it was a gift to him from my grandmother on their weddingg day - which I think was 1965 or '66). I think the crystal was replaced, Im not sure what else has been repaired or replaced.....

My questions are this:
    How can I discern exact year?
    Is the bracelet original?
    How much of it looks replaced?

image.jpg image.jpg
  13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 4, 2015

Take it to a watchmaker and have him take out the movement (it is a front loader). There's a serial number on it that you google the approximate date. There's also a reference number stamped inside the caseback. You can also google that to learn a lot about the watch.

Edited Dec 4, 2015
    WatchMeWin likes this.
  14. WatchMeWin Dec 4, 2015

Thanks efauser - I will pursue that

15. cfw Dec 17, 2015

Thats a very nice piece. I love those beaded bracelets

16. WatchMeWin Jan 17, 2016

Beautiful