Forums Latest Members
  1. eche Feb 28, 2013

I recently inherited a watch that I wanted to get some more information on. I really don't know much about it at all, so any information about it would be helpful (age, model, approx value, information on servicing/restoring, etc). Thanks for the help.

IMG_20130228_155314.jpg
  2. Mothra Feb 28, 2013

So seamasters are not my area (but someone will chime in soon) but in terms of advice on restoring and servicing - what do you want to do with it? Does it have sentimental value and do you want to wear it, or do you want to sell it?

3. eche Feb 28, 2013

It's solely sentimental value to me - this was my father's watch and I will never sell it. However, I'd consider restoring it and keeping it somewhere safe. This will rarely, if ever get worn. I guess I just wanted to know more about it for myself and eventually, for my kids when I hand it down.

4. Mothra Feb 28, 2013

Tricky to tell from the photo wether the case is ok or not - the bezel looks good, but the plate on the lugs looks bad - i think one or other of those is an artifact of the photography, but not sure what. The crystal would probably polish up quite nicely with some polywatch ( a few pounds from.ebay) but you shouldn't wear it unless you've had it serviced (probably less than $200, if you tell us where you are someone could recommend someone) or you will damage the internals irreparably. The bracelet may polish up, but if not a strap would be less than $50. Again, seamasters aren't my area, but assuming its gold capped (the back is stainless steel) id guess the watch is worth $300 tops now, and $450 tops after all that work. So worth doing for sentimental reasons, not to make a profit...

eche likes this.
  5. Mothra Feb 28, 2013

I'm
    probably being pessimistic on the values - someone help me out....

6. nsmike Feb 28, 2013

Assuming the plating is good, and the bracelet is original Omega, I would add about $100. If the OP was in MN, he could get the watch serviced for $75. That's at the watchmaker I use, for a basic COA (clean, oil, and adjust). Checking adjustment in multiple positions adds to the cost but is only justified for chronometer movements.

7. eche Feb 28, 2013

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll probably take it somewhere to get it serviced and probably polish up the face. I live in VA near DC. Does anyone know approximately when this watch was made?

8. ulackfocus Feb 28, 2013

60's most likely.