Forums Latest Members
  1. GiorgioNC Jun 30, 2019

Good Sunday to all.

I'm new to this group and new to Omega watches as well. I am having a difficult time identifying a watch I purchased at a local auction recently. I am hopeful someone here might be able to give me some ideas or perhaps lead me in a right direction.

The watch photos are attached. I have spent weeks looking online trying to find a similar looking watch, but I haven't seen anything with the exact same dial. From my online research, I understand that if I get the back opened I would most likely see the serial number on the inside and probably can find out all I need to with the serial number. I'm hoping that this is not a "fake" Omega :(:(:(

I took it to a watch repair shop in a local mall. He thinks the watch is probably from the 60s and he says it is an automatic. He says it looks to be gold plated and that the crown is not original so must have been replaced at some point in the past. He says if its working and keeping good time, he advised me not to open it, implying that something can go wrong. Unless if I wanted to clean it, then he would do it and the charge would be around $200. I'm not sure if I want to spend that money not knowing how much the watch is worth. I asked him how much he thinks the watch is worth. He says between $150 to $300.

I then took it to a high end jewelry store in my area handling Omega watches. They also weren't much help. A salesperson told me he thinks it may be from the 50s and that he thinks its a mechanical winding watch not automatic as the first shop said.

Would anyone here be able to share their opinion about this watch? Is it manual wind or automatic? What is the movement type and is there a model name to this watch? The Omega salesperson said it probably doesn't have a specific model name.

Should I spend $200 to have it cleaned and at that time a serial number can be gotten? Would I then be able to find out all I need to about this watch? I was thinking to get a leather strap for the watch instead of this current one.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone that can provide any information for me.

NOTE: The photo doesn't show the back very well. Its just a solid back with no writings at all. Looks to be one of those pressure type casing? Perhaps someone can recommend a person online that can open it and service it for a reasonable price? Please do let me know. Image102.jpg

Have a great day.

Giorgio

Image104.jpg Image101.jpg Image103.jpg
  2. Davidt Jun 30, 2019

Automatic - it should start to run when you shake it.
    You should also be able to wind it continuously.

Manual - it won't start to run until you wind it.
    When winding you should eventually come to resistance preventing you from winding it any further.

Both of the above are 'mechanical'.

Possibly ref 131.019?

GiorgioNC, Mark020 and Dan S like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 30, 2019

I’d say the first guy was correct.

Although the lack of automatic on the dial is odd. Also gold plated.

GiorgioNC likes this.
  4. Rochete Jun 30, 2019

And neither guy thought about opening it (a 10s operation at most) to tell you at least wheater it was manual or automatic and one of them even advised against opening it? I wouldn't give the watch to either for anything.

Market value (what you would get at open auction on, say, ebay) would be around $300. Looks gold-plated. For the other info you want watch must be opened.

GiorgioNC and Mark020 like this.
  5. GiorgioNC Jul 1, 2019

Thanks for your feedback. The watch stopped running now. When I shake it. It might run for 5 seconds and stops again. I keep shaking it it runs for few seconds and sometime doesn't even move... So I believe it's not an automatic watch.

Will try to get the back case opened to find out more I go.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 1, 2019

7. michael22 Jul 1, 2019

Definitely put it on leather. The metal bracelet has already chewed into the lugs.
    Stop shaking it.
    $200 is a decent service price, but as mentioned already, both these people you spoke to are the wrong people.

I think it looks good, & would happily pay for a service & wear it.