Forums Latest Members
  1. bg relek Jul 21, 2017

So I'm not any expert in watches, I was cleaning out my great aunts house and stumbled across this Omega Sea master watch. I was wondering by the pictures below if anyone could tell e info about it ie: Date, Model, Rarity anything really. (No picture of the movement, didn't want to ruin anything when taking the back off). I did some research I believe its called a "curtain dial". I don't think its fake but want to find out the history of it. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1154[1].JPG IMG_1152[1].JPG IMG_1153[1].JPG IMG_1150[1].JPG IMG_1151[1].JPG IMG_1148[2].JPG IMG_1149[1].JPG
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 21, 2017

Serial number will tell you the date it was made, it's on the movement.

Model number is inside the caseback. You can search eBay sales for value then.

If you cannot open the caseback without damaging it any watchmaker can open it. Do not take it to a battery replacement shop.

3. ConElPueblo Jul 22, 2017

Did a search on these fora and found these (search "curtain") :

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-15700-unusual-dial-on-the-bay.20759/#post-226929

https://omegaforums.net/threads/need-help-for-this-type-of-dial.54445/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/constellation-calendar-impulse-buy-update-its-the-big-daddy.18652/

If I remember correctly your reference is called something like "14700", but I could be wrong. Have a google search after that reference.
    As @Foo2rama states, to be certain of anything the best call is to have the caseback removed and read of the serial number (found on the movement) and the reference number (found on the inside of the case back).

If you'd like to have a clearer look at the dial, have a go at polishing it. You can use Brasso or some other similar polishing compound.

JimInOz likes this.
  4. bg relek Jul 22, 2017

thankyou for the help. Going to my local jeweller soon.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 22, 2017

What CEP meant is you can polish the crystal to remove most of the scratches and that will make the dial look a whole lot nicer.

ConElPueblo and Foo2rama like this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 22, 2017

It is a beautiful example that unfortunately, seems to have had a hard life.
    I'm afraid that the lightness of the font (ink) may indicate an aggressive cleaning of the dial that cannot be reversed.

It is an uncommon example, so let's get the crystal cleaned and the caseback info and go from there!

Was it your great-uncle's and does it have family value?

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. bg relek Jul 22, 2017

Not quite sure who' it was just found it and was interested about it so ya going to a jewler soon.

UncleBuck likes this.
  8. bg relek Jul 22, 2017

also the picture makes the writing look bad but in real life its all there no ink missing its pristine my iPhone just butchered the quality lol

9. bg relek Jul 22, 2017

the crystal is still really scatched though

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 22, 2017

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2017

I actually wonder if maybe the lightness of the font could be to do with a combination of the beat up plexiglass and the flash from the camera, were these dials Normal Morris or were they Swiss?

12. ConElPueblo Jul 23, 2017

I'm sure that the weak fonts are a combination of sub-par photos, a beat-up crystal, bad lighting (look at how the weakest parts of the fonts are at the light "curtain folds" on the dial) and perhaps slight aging.

13. Edward53 Jul 23, 2017