Forums Latest Members

Help Identifying vintage automatic Omega watch w/black face and red pointed second hand

1. kell Jul 12, 2013

Hi - I inherited a vintage automatic Omega watch w/black face and red pointed second hand. It has gold indicators w/numbers at 12, 3, 6 and 9. I'm unable to get the back off to see any stamped info, so I'll have to take it to the jewelers at some point to have back removed (the gold on the watch isn't tarnished at all - I'm hoping it's gold or gold-filled - I assume the watch band is a replacement as it's a stainless Gruen stretch band). Watch came in its original Omega velvet box with paper booklet. I don't know anything about Omega watches and haven't been able to find anything that matches it on the net, so any info (age, rarity, value, etc.) would be most appreciated! I've posted pixs of the watch to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38725790@N05/ Thanks!

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 13, 2013

IMO, the watch looks to be an original black dialed bumper automatic Omega from the early 1950's. I think the seconds hand was replaced with the red one at some point. Box and papers look original to the period, but once the watchmaker opens it up, you can see it the papers match the watch.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. kell Jul 18, 2013

Thanks for the info, gatorcpa :)

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 18, 2013

And thanks for the reply to Gator.:thumbsup:

I'm surprised at the number of one-shot wonders who get helped with an answer and simply vanish into the ether.

SpikiSpikester likes this.