Forums Latest Members
  1. hkagan1984 Sep 26, 2015

Hi so my first time on this forum.

Found this watch in the house I bought a couple of years ago and always wanted to find out more about it and see if it's worth repairing or selling. Any info appreciated.

Also curious about the blues bar on the movement as haven't seen this on other movements.

Sorry about quality of some photos used my phone camera.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 26, 2015

Watch looks to be a UK market (9K?) Omega from the 1930's, based on the movement serial number and the Dennison branded case.

Everything looks original except for that odd clamping system. I've seen something similar done in cars when a more powerful engine is installed. Keeps the body from flexing too much from torque steer.

Here, it likely was an improvising watchmaker. That can be fixed by a proper repair, I suspect.

@Tire-comedon is the real expert on these.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

3. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 26, 2015

Hi,
    I couldn't find in my catalogs any correspondance for a cushion shaped case with a 23.4SC movement inside, and I don't remember having seen any. When 23.4SC was launched I suspect this shape was a little bit outdated. Is the case full gold or plated?

What I can say :

The case looks like a British Denison model 701, here shown in a British leaflet from around 1935 with a 26.5 (a larger movement with second hand at six) inside:
    [​IMG]
    Denison was a case maker non affiliated to Omega, but in those years, Omega used to export movements with dials and hands to their AD, who did put them in cases made in their country. As far as I understood, the ADs were importing parts and not watches, and had lower custom duties.

The dial looks original to the 23.4SC (although it is difficult to be sure with this low res picture), I don't think the hands are Omega. The movement is incomplete as it lacks its central second (you can see the hole in the center where the sweep second pinion took place, and on the left side of the 'clamp', the place were the friction spring was screwed.)

What I can guess :

It could well be a national production by some AD, a later transformation (someone wanting to keep a cushion full gold case but 'upgrade' with a central second movement), who knows without the watch history... It seems to e that the clamp was added because the 23.4SC was thinner than the movement for which the case was designed, which makes me think it is probably a recasing. Is there any kind of spacer ring added to fill in the space between the movement and the case? If yes, what is the daiameter of the Inside case, without this spacer?

Take care,

Adele Barr likes this.