Forums Latest Members
  1. ValS Nov 28, 2017

Good Evening,
    This was my Mother's watch, she was born and raised in Paris. She has had this watch since the late 50's early 60's - as per my Dad, my Mom passed away years ago. I cannot id this as of yet. The Omega Database does not have a picture of it and the closest I have gotten is the crystal - which seems to be a Saphette. I am thinking again - 50's? If anyone can assist. I have not opened the back of the watch, it runs perfect, just wind and go. There is a small lip on the back of the watch to open is I assume. I live on the east coast and the closest Omega dealer is Miami. Any help...

IMG_3337.jpg IMG_3339.JPG
  2. Canuck Nov 28, 2017

We need better pictures, better lit, in focus. We need close up photos of any quality stamps from near the buckle, and either on or inside the case back. We need serial numbers wherever they might be located. We need good, clear photos of the stamping inside the case back. We also need photos of the “works” inside the case. All photos need to be taken with a quality camera with a macro feature. The photos need to be vastly better than what you have provided so far. Maybe then we can tell you more.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 28, 2017

Omega's American agent (Norman Morris) introduced the Sapphette in the USA in December 1954. It was highly popular and Omega launched it world wide in 1955.

The name "Sapphette" was originated by Bernard Kliman of Norman Morris Corp. It was derived from sapphire, the material of the crystal, and facette, the reference to the way the inside of the crystal is cut to reflect light like the facets of a diamond.

They remained popular for the next three decades but like all fashions, have been overtaken by time.

Yours probably has a Caliber 480 or similar manual wind movement which, compared to most men's movements at the time (30mm dia), is tiny at approx 12 x 15mm.

We can tell you more if you follow @Canuck's guidance.

BenBagbag likes this.