Forums Latest Members

Help Identifying this Hamilton Watch

1. PirateLou Dec 9, 2013

I'm having trouble ID-ing this Hamilton. I can't seem to open the back, didn't try popping it since there isn't a groove to facilitate the opening of it. I'm assuming it's a screw back? Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_7164.JPG IMG_7165.JPG IMG_7166.JPG IMG_7167.JPG IMG_7169.JPG IMG_7171.JPG
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 9, 2013

The movement comes out through the front after removing the crystal with a proper crystal lift.

Likely one of the Thinlines from the mid to late 1960s.

PirateLou likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2013

It's a Swiss movement so it won't be as valuable to a Hamilton collector as the American made versions, and it is a front loader like Norm said above. Looks like a Wadsworth case (I think) and probably has a manual wind caliber 637 or similar, could be a Buren based movement.

PirateLou likes this.
  4. PirateLou Dec 9, 2013

It's for sale, how much would be a realistic price I could expect for something like this? At least the case is solid 14k Gold :thumbsup:

5. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2013

I've seen other similar, but not identical, Hamiltons sell for $400 - $550 depending on condition. Yours looks pretty nice, except I can't tell if the lugs are bent in or it's the fisheye effect of macro. If they're straight, an asking price in the neighborhood of $500 - $520 would sound fair to me. Wait for opinions from members more versed in Hamilton though.

PirateLou likes this.
  6. PirateLou Dec 9, 2013

I'll wait for multiple opinions, thank you. I looked over the lugs and they aren't bent.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 9, 2013

Here's a site with almost all of the original Hamilton Catalogs going back to the early 1910's. I've linked the page that starts with 1965, as I don't think the watch is older than that.

http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewforum.php?f=21&start=50

Probably from 1968-72 or thereabouts by the style.
    Happy hunting,
    gatorcpa

8. PirateLou Dec 9, 2013

Thank you very much gatorcpa. I'll post again to let you guys know the end result! :)

9. PirateLou Dec 9, 2013

Well, Here are 4 which look similar to what I have, but I'm convinced it's the Thinline 2036 Model. What do you guys think?

Hamilton Thinline 1.JPG Hamilton Thinline 2.JPG Hamilton Thinline 3 & 4.JPG
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 9, 2013

I think that's the closest match. If that's so, then the lugs have been bent inward a little bit.
    gatorcpa

11. PirateLou Dec 9, 2013

Just came back from the vintage watch boards and the Hamilton experts are saying this is actually more similar to a 2039

2039.JPG
  12. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2013

I think whoever buys it will get a nice watch. :thumbsup:

13. PirateLou Dec 9, 2013

LoL, I just need a buyer now! Thanks for the support, though.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 10, 2013

I really wish you would let us know that you are a dealer or picker and not a collector when you post a request for information. I don't mind looking something up for informational purposes or to help you understand what you have.

However, when you immediately put the watch up for sale, then I feel as if I should be asking for a commission for helping to enhance your sales price.

Advertising belongs on the Sales Forum, not here.

Sorry, rant over,
    gatorcpa

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 10, 2013

16. PirateLou Dec 10, 2013

I understand why you could be upset and I apologize if you feel "betrayed" in some sort of form. Here's my point of view. I'm not a dealer, but picking is my hobby. I collect many things like coins, comics, watches & certain old toys. Watch collecting is fairly new to me and my knowledge is limited. I belong to a number of forums on different collectibles and I feel it's common that collectors, in general, sell off their less desirable pieces to fund other more desirable collectibles they'd like to buy. In my scenario it's slightly different... I've got a young family and we need to buy a house within the next two years. We've been strongly affected by the recession like many others around our nation and are forced to make a move.

I'm trying to hold on to my treasured collectibles as long as possible by selling all the other (less important to me) collectibles to people like you and others, before I have to sell what's dear to me and took me many years to accumulate. I don't know if you can sympathize, but this is my reality. I'm not a fly by night hit-and-run salesman. I DO have an appreciation for watch collecting and am very much in love with it in general. I'm also learning much by asking experienced collectors, like yourself, about these items. There's a lot of bad information on the internet and I'd rather come here than be misinformed.

I'll make sure to announce my intention of selling a watch when I ask for information on it next time as to not offend anyone.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 10, 2013

That's all I ask.

Thanks,
    gatorcpa

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 10, 2013

Well concluded, I feel.
    PirateLou, a fitting response for help such as Evan has given (and others would give) would be a pm offering first crack to the helper and then a posting on our Watch Sales before hawking at the Bazaar.
    You are obviously a decent fellow and we appreciate your forthright manner. We may be able to assist you quite nicely with funds for your new home!
    What else would you consider moving?

rhetoric likes this.
  19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 10, 2013

I see you have posted it on our Sales, good show!