Forums Latest Members
  1. NewOmegaFiend Nov 6, 2013

Hi there,

First post here, been lurking for some time and it's amazing the amount of knowledge some of you guys have!

I bought this Omega Seamaster earlier this year as a replacement for a Raymond Weil dress watch I lost in a burglary - I just fell in love with the lines of this watch. Although the ebay listing didn't mention the exact year, it did have a photo of the serials on the inside and I remember looking them up and being satisfied it was from 1966 (I think...).

Now, I can't get the watch open to check again - I'd rather have a pro do it when it's next serviced - and I was wondering if anybody could help me identify it as i can't find it anywhere. Starting to think it has a repainted dial, even though the seller said it was all original and had only been ultrasonically cleaned and serviced. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, cheers!

IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0578.JPG
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 6, 2013

We could tell you much more after seeing the inside of the back and movement. I will tell you that you are correct with your believe that the dial has been refinished. You can see that the script is not properly horizontal to the dial face. I do like the case design though.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 6, 2013

Seamaster 600 ref 135.011.

I just sold one here last week, here is a correct dial (there are many different variations).

Yours is clearly refinished, the figures have been polished and the printing is off.

IMG_4344.JPG

4. NewOmegaFiend Nov 6, 2013

Thanks for your input Cicindela, and wow X350 XJR you really nailed it there! The watch you sold was a beauty. Thanks for your help.

I paid a couple of hundred less for mine so I'm still OK with it, apart from the fact I think I over-wound it and it now doesn't work. I'll learn properly about these things one day....:whistling:

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 6, 2013

Well for one thing, there is no such thing as "over-winding". If you've wound the watch as far as it goes and the watch isn't running, there is some mechanical problem that is preventing the potential energy you've stored in the mainspring from being released inside the watch. Could be anything from dirt in the power train, solved by a simple cleaning, to broken parts.

You need a qualified watchmaker to diagnose and fix the problem.
    gatorcpa

6. NewOmegaFiend Nov 6, 2013

Once again, you guys on this form are legends :) Thanks for your help gatorcpa!