Forums Latest Members

Help Identifying Omega Seamaster - believe Cal. 562

1. cjolly Sep 5, 2016

I was recently given an Omega watch from father that he's had for sometime. He believes its Cal. 562 from the 60's but thought it could be from early 70's too. Any help identifying it is appreciated.

Great watch, very elegant. Lots of questions from people when I wear it but I have little information and knowledge.

Is it recommended to get the crystal replaced or have it cleaned up or semi restored. I enjoy the way it looks but could use a little bit of cleaning however don't want to ruin the vintage look/appeal in any way. Have not owned a vintage watch before and looking forward to keeping in the family for future generations.

IMG_1326.jpg IMG_1327[1].jpg IMG_1331.jpg
    Edited Sep 5, 2016
  2. WatchWarlock Sep 6, 2016

It is certainly from the 60's but you would need to see the movement serial number to get the exact year. Unfortunately the dial is a redial and it has a replacement crown. If it has sentimental value, you can have it serviced and cleaned up.

3. cjolly Sep 6, 2016

Thanks for the response and its more sentimental then anything. Is it worth it to try and get it back to original state? Or is it common to leave as is at this point and if you have your heart set on a true original that hasn't been touched to go buy that?

4. WatchWarlock Sep 6, 2016

You would have to get an exact dial for it to be back to "original." Finding a correct dial, plus the cost of servicing, crown replacement, etc would likely be costlier than the watch is worth. I would hold on to that piece, and focus on getting a good example of what you actually want.

5. cjolly Sep 6, 2016

6. cjolly Sep 6, 2016

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

7. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 6, 2016

If it is a redial, it's a very good one. About the only thing that suggests this is the crosshair not going through the word Seamaster; that said, Cosmics from a few years later did have this crosshair configuration.

Best thing to do would be to take it to a watchmaker (a reputable one, experienced with vintage Omegas) and have them open up the case to have a look at the movement and caseback. If you could take some pictures of these that would be great! It will help us identify the watch better (from the lettering type though its around the mid 60s.)

8. WatchWarlock Sep 6, 2016

It is more than just the crosshair through Seamaster...

1. The crosshair was newly added on and can't be more evident than how off-center it is to the Omega symbol
    2. It is even drawn on the 6 o'clock marker for pete's sake
    3. The markers are not proportionally spaced, being too far away from the case
    4. The Swiss Made is also too far up, spread too far apart.
    5. Both Swiss Made, Automatic, and Seamaster are clearly too thick and repainted
    6. With the 60's including Tritium, the hands do not match swiss made. It should be at least Swiss Made T to indicate tritium in the hands.
    7. The hands have been relumed at some point as the hour hand clearly has build up.

I didn't want to crush cjolly's father's watch so I didn't elaborate other than say pass and move on but need to clarify that it is not a good redial.

9. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 6, 2016

You need to remember that the vast majority of people would never even think about whether their watch is a redial or not. It is only people as enthusiasts, collectors, accumulators, watchmakers etc. that would go around with a fine toothpick and look at these things. If a redial looks good, would someone buy it? Would that same person still get it if they were as knoweledgeable as some are?

One point of your reasoning I'd like to address - 60s watches may not necessarily have used tritium. Most still used radium or other phorescent materials, and hence, no Ts. Proof - my Seamaster 30 from 1962. No Ts. Put it under a UV light and it glows.

20160906_160221-1024x576.jpg

20160906_160231-1024x576.jpg

And some adverts for Seamasters from the 50s and 60s. Again, not many Ts here.

20160906_160312-768x1365.jpg 20160906_160324-768x1365.jpg 20160906_160152-576x1024.jpg 20160906_160138-576x1024.jpg

Bear in mind that the original poster wanted this:

This is a watch to be passed on from one generation to the next. Doesn't matter if it's a redial. First step is to take it a watchmaker to get the movement assessed. Afterwards, your watchmamer can assist you in restoring it by getting the watch serviced, finding a correct replacement crown, and also a crystal if it appears scratched/cracked.

Edited Sep 6, 2016