Forums Latest Members
  1. Bianconero Apr 25, 2019

Hi all, newbie on here.
    Have recently moved house and in amongst the packing stage I came across a vintage Omega wristwatch, one that I remember my late grandfather wearing in the 1970s I'm now trying to identify what model it is, and a rough idea of its value. There are no markings on the outer back case, and I'm fairly sure the strap is a replacement. I've done a Google search and I think it may be from the 1940s, though theres not many I can find with the numbers at 2 4 6 8 10 as opposed to 3 6 9. I wound it up and it still works despite not having been used in 40ish years. I've added a photo in the hope someone can identify it.
    Thanks for reading,
    P.

20190422_180529.jpg
    Spruce, Mark020 and heavenscloud like this.
  2. rincondeltiempo Apr 25, 2019

Photos of the inside caseback and movement are needed to identify it. I'd recommend taking it to a watchmaker to open it. With that, identification will be much easier.

Best,
    Javi.

3. Bianconero Apr 25, 2019

Thanks Javi, didn't want to remove the back case myself for fear of causing damage. Will take it to get it opened and then post further photos.

4. heavenscloud Apr 25, 2019

You're correct that it's from the 1940s. Dial appears original and in good condition. Case appears in good condition. The inside of the case back will be stamped with either a case serial number or the case reference number depending on when the case was manufactured. Omega started stamping the case reference number in the 1940s. Movement may be a cal. 30 T2 SC and will bear a serial number that will allow you to estimate the production date. Band is a replacement, as you guessed. Most of us would recommend that you not try to open the watch yourself and have an experienced watchmaker open it.

Mark020 likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Apr 25, 2019

HI Bianconero and welcome. That is a lovely watch and in great shape. As has been advised many times on the forums, minimize wearing it until you can get it cleaned and lubricated by a competent watchmaker (not your local jeweler). The oils inside are probably dry as a bone and even though it is working, it's putting wear on parts that should be oiled.

The flexi- bracelet is indeed an aftermarket, commonly available at drug-stores. It would have come with a nice leather strap.
    Are you planning to keep it and wear it or are you planning just to move it along?

6. Edward53 Apr 25, 2019

Damn, that's nice! Wish I had a family watch like that.

7. Bianconero Apr 25, 2019

Thanks for your replies. No way I'm going to attempt to open the back myself, will definitely get that done at a reputable watchmaker. In terms of what to do with it I think I'll probably keep it for myself as a daily wear, most watches these days are too big, this is a good size and would look good with a leather strap. Only trouble is if it's valuable I'd be maybe scared to wear it for fear of losing or damaging it. For now I'm happy that it gives me good memories of my grandfather.

8. JwRosenthal Apr 25, 2019

I don’t think you have to worry about value, it’s not worth a fortune, but does have some value due to its condition (I’m guess guessing between $500-$1k- experts please correct me).
    Absolutely wear it, it’s a stunner and will make women swoon and men envy you.

9. ilayd Apr 25, 2019

And it doesnt appear as anyone has mentioned this, but a lot of the value of the watch will arise from its originality. When you take it to a watchmaker, make sure to tell them NOT to polish the case in any way, replace or repair anything on the dial or hands. The best approach is to service the mechanism so it runs properly, and leave the rest alone.

Also, since it is a vintage watch, they are not very water proof anymore. You should never submerge the watch into water. You should also be careful washing your hands or when its raining outside.

Otherwise, its a beautifully preserved watch and the design of the dial is very good looking.

Bianconero and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 25, 2019

I'm not sure if the hands and dial go together. Minute and hour hands are too long. The minute hand should end at the register like the seconds hand (which I believe is original).

It could be that the dial was replaced with a later Omega replacement that fit the case and movement.

Still is a very nice looking piece.
    gatorcpa

ConElPueblo and Bianconero like this.
  11. Bianconero Apr 25, 2019

"Make women swoon"....now I like the sound of that

12. mac_omega Apr 26, 2019

Gator,

sorry to contradict.
    The hands are perfectly fine for this model and type of dial - if I remember correctly we have already discussed this in an older thread on Puristspro...
    Here are 2 photos of a very similar example out of my collection

v_400.JPG

!B8!YlngEGk~$(KGrHqV,!k0Ey+jC2OPoBM1ykzBHug~~_3.JPG

The long hands are characteristic for this model

best regards
    erich

Edited Apr 26, 2019
  13. Bianconero Apr 26, 2019

I'm liking the black strap you've got, it makes the watch face itself really stand out

14. heavenscloud Apr 26, 2019

15. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2019

If you’re new to vintage watches, don’t buy a cheap strap, you will end up replacing it. Buy something quality- it doesn’t need to be hand made by angles or anything likes that-check out Rios1931 or any of the offerings from Holbens, It’s worth spending a little more on a nice crocodile or calf skin strap.
    https://rios1931.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvNH139vt4QIVjVuGCh2HPwLrEAAYASAAEgJEkfD_BwE

https://holbensfinewatchbands.com/

Or if you want more fun straps, watch Gecko has excellent straps and their line of Chedsworth suede straps is one of my favorites for putting a casual flair on a vintage watch, but still keeping with the style.
    https://www.watchgecko.com/chedworth-suede-handmade-watch-strap.php

16. Bianconero Apr 26, 2019

Thanks for the links, appreciate it. Had a quick initial look and Watch Gecko have got a beautiful dark blue Italian leather strap, that's number one for now.

17. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2019

I have the “honey” in the Italian leather line, it’s a shockingly good strap for $60
    And I was thinking blue as well for that watch. Get the blue suede and the blue leather and it will give it two completely different looks, and pick up a strap changing tool, you’re gonna need it.
    But this is putting the cart before the horse. If you let the group know where you are, someone can recommend a good watchmaker in your area or one to whom you can send it that will be sympathetic to keeping it original and just servicing the movement

18. Bianconero Apr 26, 2019

Is it wrong that I'm getting really excited about getting the watch serviced, buying a new strap for it and then wearing it? It's by far the best quality watch I'll have ever owned.
    I'm in London, UK, I've googled and theres a few official Omega service centres in the centre of town, unless as you say someone on here knows a decent place to take it to, nothing beats word of mouth recommendations.

19. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2019

Welcome to the club! We get one, we get excited and before you know it you are spending late nights researching watches and weekend days going to antique stores.

Do not take it to an Omega service center! I know it sounds counter-intuitive but when you drop off a watch at Omega, their goal is to make the watch like new again (Rolex too). They will replace parts, (sometimes replacing hands and even the dial) and grind and polish the case to make it like new- killing any collector value and basically destroying your vintage watch. Many rare collectible watches have been “made like new” and value destroyed by the maker.
    Make a new thread asking for a watchmaker in London near you- I’m willing to bet several are members here.

20. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2019