Forums Latest Members
  1. kraxel Jul 2, 2012

DSC0005.jpg DSC003.jpg DSC004.jpg

This watch was found among my grandfathers things after he died. All i know is that the watch is manufactured by omega, it has to bee winded now an then to prevent it from stopping (it has no battery). The "needle showing seconds runst around insted of jumping as on modern watches".You can open the back of the watch. When opened the name OMEGA is ingraved together with stambs/symbols and a number: 6396949
    I also found a number on the movement: 5742639 (i believe that this is the serial number?)
    DSC0002.jpg (back)

DSC0001.jpg (front)
    Does some one no when it was made?, How common this watch is?, What is it worth today?.
    What do you know about this watch?

Best wishes

KRAXEL

2. ulackfocus Jul 2, 2012

Hi Kraxel. Your watch could be anywhere from 188x to 194x, but if we see the serial number on the movement we can tell you much more.

Please don't keep it running. The oils inside the watch have surely dried up and you will damage it if not serviced properly. Nice heirloom. :thumbsup:

3. kraxel Jul 2, 2012

Thank you for your answer. I just discovered that you could open the back of the watch.When you open it its a colection of marks,stamps and numbers. it says omega. When i opened a second hatch i found the serial number on the movement which follows:5742639

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2012

Don't sell it to anyone from the Ukraine!

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 2, 2012

Your watch dates to about 1920-21 based on this chart from Omega:

[​IMG]
    The case number of approximately 6.3M is consistent with this date as well. The "0,900" on the case means that it is 90% fine silver, also known as coin-grade silver. The porcelain dial looks to be very nice condition. As ulackfocus said, it's well worth getting fixed up with a movement overhaul and new crystal.

Very nice heirloom,
    gatorcpa

6. Steve Jul 2, 2012

HAHAHA...:D:D

7. kraxel Jul 3, 2012

Thank you all for the information. Does any one know what it might be worth today? ( this is a wristwatch and not a pocketwatch as it may look like on the pictures)

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2012

It is a pocket watch, someone's just attached lugs to it to "convert" it, which actually reduces the value if anything, so value wise its rather low.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 4, 2012

Just FWIW, there are a lot of pocket watches, back in the era they were popular, there were no cheap alternatives, so they were common for keeping time, a necessity rather than a fashion accessory. Over the years, nobody threw them out, they've been passed down through families as everyone considers them valuable, and due to their rugged build, and the fact that they tended to be under clothing and protected anyway, they tend to survive. At this point, the number of surviving examples is very high, there are a lot of them out there, and the demand is nearly non existent (there are collectors but people just don't use pocket watches, while vintage wristwatches get worn and are in huge demand). I've had a friend try to sell me a gold-filled (very nice condition) Rolex pocket watch with a Dennison case for $30,000 only to get deeply offended when I told him I wouldn't give him $200 for it. Its sad to say but unless its complicated, interesting, or unique, the average pocket watch is just a conversation piece that sits in a drawer.