Forums Latest Members
  1. Benji91 Dec 20, 2015

Hello!

First of all - I almost know nothing about watches! :thumbsdown:

My fathers uncle passed away 10 years ago and he left me a old gold Omega Seamaster watch, I've never used it other than at special occasions, so I've been treating it carefully. I've been looking everywhere to find out what model it is and the value of it, just fyi I DO NOT WANT TO SELL IT. :)

The local watchsalesman in my little town in norway went nuts when looking at it when he did some work on it, but he said he's not qualified to give me papers on the value on it.

So I was wondering if you guys may know a little bit about this! :)

I think it was bought maybe in the 70's or something.
    IMO I also think it's in beautiful condition.

I've read the newbeginner post to this forum and I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. :)

IMG_1484.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1486.JPG

2. Benji91 Dec 20, 2015

Also, he worked as a fisherman at sea, so I have no idea what country it was bought in either..

3. Kit352 Dec 20, 2015

Did he happen to give you a copy of the numbers under the back plate?

4. Benji91 Dec 20, 2015

No, I'm sorry I was just given the watch by his sister after he passed. I have no papers or number :(

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 20, 2015

Have a watchmaker open it and copy down the number. It's the key to everything.

6. Kit352 Dec 20, 2015

Im no expert but I'm sure others on here can tell you exactly what it is just by looking at it. If your local watch guy can pop the back off you can get all the info you need from it. It's pretty easy after that.

7. Georgieboy58 Dec 20, 2015

Looks pretty similar to this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121577198457Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    In the detail photos of this offering you can see the model number 196.0081.

Edited Dec 20, 2015
  8. Benji91 Dec 20, 2015

Oh, I didn't know that! The watch has actually stopped too sometime last month, so I guess the battery is dead so I have to change that.
    I will get him to give me the numbers on the inside then = )
    Maybe I'll drive to the next town and try out that watch-man, maybe can have it valued :)

I will post here again as soon as I get the numbers on the backplate.

Thanks for your help :)

Georgieboy58: Yeah, it does in fact look similar with a different strap! :)

Also, is it a good idea to get watches like these serviced too? I guess they need some lubrication of sorts..(?) I have never serviced it as long as I've owned it..

9. Georgieboy58 Dec 20, 2015

Your bracelet isn't original, I am sure this is the same model 196.0081.
    If you google this number, you will find a few more like this: http://www.kaplans.se/sv/auktioner/2431/vara/906159.
    Many of the hits are from kaplans.se, these seamed to be popular in scandinavia.

Edited Dec 20, 2015
  10. Georgieboy58 Dec 20, 2015

Omega database says:
    FEATURES
    INTERNATIONAL COLLECTION

DIMENSIONS

CASE

Gold-plated

CASE BACK TYPE

Press-in

DIAL

Metal

CRYSTAL

Armoured hesalite

BRACELET

Leather

FUNCTION

MOVEMENTS
    TYPE

Quartz electronic analogic

CALIBER NUMBER

OTHER

Created in 1977
    7 or 13 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand

TECHNICAL DATA
    WATER RESISTANCE

30 meters

Benji91 likes this.
  11. Benji91 Dec 20, 2015

Yes, I've been googling and lot now and I also think it's got to be that watch! :) Nice to sort out this mystery! I was searching my ass off on the Vintage Omega Database a few weeks ago, but now I understand why I didn't find it there because there was no pictures of it on the site ;)

Thank you for your help Georgie :D

12. Georgieboy58 Dec 20, 2015

I simply googled "omega quartz gold 70ties" and checked the pics;)
    Glad that your "uncle watch" is not a fake.

13. Benji91 Dec 20, 2015

Hehe, I feel a bit stupid now, because I've been searching everywhere and not got lucky on any of my hits :p

Much appreciated anyways!

14. Benji91 Dec 21, 2015

Hello. Just to close this thread I've changed the battery today, and I got the numbers on the inside of the plate and it is just as you said Georgieboy58! Quartz 1342 1960081 watch :)

15. Kit352 Dec 21, 2015

Hope it brings you many years of service.

16. Benji91 Dec 21, 2015

Thank you!

I'm sure it will. I think its a very nice piece. I work as a mechanic so it wont be used daily. Usually only at family gatherings and so on.