Forums Latest Members
  1. Davegoorn Feb 28, 2021

H image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg i all first time poster and hope you can help me
    i have inherited my grandads watch my mother bought it for him new in 1948 from Switzerland while on a school trip so i know its date but thats all i know other than the winder being changed and not being a genuine omega winder
    I’d love to know more about it as far as i know its never been cleaned or serviced it works but looses about 3 or 4 mins in 24 hours
    i will attach some pics
    many thanks in advance
    dave

2. befobe Feb 28, 2021

Hi, more light on the dial would maybe help...

3. Davegoorn Feb 28, 2021

Hope this is a better photo

image.jpg
  4. Dan S Feb 28, 2021

That is a very well-loved watch and a nice heirloom. If you pry off the back, the reference number (basically the model number) will probably be written inside the case-back, and the serial number will be on the. movement, which is probably a cal 30T2, given the 1948 date of purchase. You will also probably see tiny faint hand-engravings inside the case-back from watchmakers who serviced the watch in the past.

The spring-bars should not be protruding outside the lugs like that. Hopefully the lugs are undamaged and someone just installed the wrong type of bars. If you plan to use it occasionally, you will probably want to replace the bracelet (which is not original or made by Omega) with a nice leather strap and get the movement serviced.

5. Davegoorn Feb 28, 2021

Many thanks for the info Dan
    I have had the back off once but with the back off i had no access to the movement and the backplate was blank
    I will take it off again tomorrow and take some pics and show you what i mean if thats ok

befobe likes this.
  6. Dan S Feb 28, 2021

Perhaps there was a dust-cover over the movement? I wouldn't have expected that, let's see some photos.

wagudc likes this.
  7. joe band Feb 28, 2021

the case appears sharp, given the patina on the dial. looks like your grandfather got lots of use from it, hopefully you can continue that story.

8. Davegoorn Mar 1, 2021

Many thanks all for the welcome and comments about the watch
    Here’s some more pics with the back off it could certainly do with a good clean service
    Hopefull with these pics you will see what i mean about having no access to the actual movement 4690AC9D-2762-4FF0-AA0E-77300ABCCEE9.jpeg 4F402763-2C19-4FDB-A26D-195F737F2402.jpeg D6EB0E3A-DDEE-463A-9B4C-8066451A342F.jpeg D9305BFA-7EB2-4382-A597-D7B1E1258CA5.jpeg

9. François Pépin Mar 1, 2021

It is a two parts case and the movement is pushed on the back. It is easy to remove the movement if you know what you are doing, but do not try if you do not feel comfortable with the operation. I agree it is likely a 30T2.

Buy the way, be carefull not to put your finger of the dial: you could dammage what seems to be a nice original dial!

10. Davegoorn Mar 1, 2021

Many thanks for the info Francois i dont know how to remove the back so i will leave it unless its a really easy process do i need any special tools or anything?

11. François Pépin Mar 1, 2021

There should be a small hole in the case back. You can put the blade of a small screwdriver in it to push up the movement. You do not want to push up the dial directly but rather the movement. At least, it is the way I do, but watchmakers may give you further advice.