Forums Latest Members
  1. gogo000 Feb 24, 2017

Hello,
    I have posted my first purchase in omega under 500$ where I explain my quick purchase. I got the watch today and I like little fella. It is in very decent condition and working well. Seller description was accurate.
    The problem is that I have many questions regarding the watch. I am very suspicious that some parts of watch are not original. So these are the questions:
    1. I couldn't connect movement 560 (ser#:239xxxxx) and case 166.002? Reading all about movement 560 (Desmond article(s) I can't find a single connection with 166.002 case.
    2. I have almost not faith the dial is original. Searching hundred of pictures couldn't find one similar to dial in my watch. It doesn't look bad but rather very uncommon.("scientific dial"???)
    3. Even hour and minute hands looks like original, seconds hand is short and black?????. Need to change for sure.
    4. Crown looks original
    5. I search omega database via case number and found Seamaster (1965 match with 239....) very similar to my watch but movement is 562 (http://www.omegaaddict.com/members/display.php?mode=display&watchID=897)
    6. May you help what does these blue numbers on case mean? Is it from the guy who service it or something else?
    7. On the back of case there is some plastic peeling cover with "red" line. Do you know what does that mean?

As I said I really like the watch, price was right and I want to wear it regularly. I also plan to service it right away. My watch guy charge 90 USD for full movement service and dial cleaning. I found this very affordable.
    I want to start my first omega with all attention which it deserves.
    Thank you very much for your help.

346949-b770ef5bbb0aad3d4bea67e6ad4def51.jpg DSC_0498.JPG DSC_0499.JPG s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 24, 2017

My read is that it appears to be a 562 movement with a 560 baseplate. I'm afraid the movement is built up from multiple movements as noted by the differing colors.

I'm calling it a 562 as it's marked 17 jewels unadjusted while a 560 would be marked as as adjusted to 2 positions from the quick research I did.

More info here. https://omegaforums.net/threads/cal-560-or-franken-rarity.1987/

Redline on the back is from a protective sticker put on at some point.

Blue numbers are from someone that serviced it.

Hands look wrong to me for that. My complete guess is that all parts are from different watches and put together.

3. Gordon Heavyfoot Feb 24, 2017

This is one of those very controversial watches. Some are of the opinion that 166.0002 were never cased with a cal 560, others say they were. I've seen a few 166.0002 that were.166.0020 definitely were. Not all cal 560 are adjusted. The dial on this one looks nice and original IMO. Can't tell if the scratches are on the crystal or the dial. Crown is incorrect. Hands are ok I believe (needs new seconds hand) I don't think you did too terribly for a first watch for under $500 but you may have a bit of difficulty recouping your money should you ever sell it with the uncertainty regarding whether it's a franken.

4. TNTwatch Feb 24, 2017

562 is the 24 jewels counterpart of the 560. If the auto bridge was a replacement, it could only have come from cal. 563, but that makes no difference here whatsoever.

Cal. 560 is just not very well documented at all. The OP's 23.9m serial put it in 1966, while the 166.002 was introduced in 1962, so the periods of both fit together - movement and case are correct for each other.

5. gogo000 Feb 24, 2017

foo2rama,
    I agree with you except possible movement: See from desmond articles. 560 could be both adjusted (earlier serial numbers) and unadjusted (later serial number). It also says serial numbers should be from 16-23 million. Serial number on this watch is 23 million. I double check discoloration and I might be wrong but doesn't look that different to myself. I still believe to more experience people on this forum then myself.

560-17jewels (both adjusted and unadjusted).PNG
  6. gogo000 Feb 24, 2017

thanks to all for replies.
    I would appreciate the recommendation regarding crown and hands.
    Is it worth changing crown on this watch?
    What type of seconds hand I wold pair with hour and minute hands. This black and short seconds hand is annoying. I would order it and replace it during the service.
    Also question regarding peeling protective plastic and red line. Should I take it off. I think I should.
    Thanks again for your time.
    I paid the watch 232.5 dollars.

7. gogo000 Feb 24, 2017

I have just search the internet and what a surprise. I have found almost twin brother to my watch. Serial number of this watch is 23933551 and mine is 23933567 (within 16 serial numbers). They look identical. The same movement, dial, case. My watch has wrong seconds dial and crown. Does this shed more light on my watch. I am excited and feeling way better. Is this just me. I would appreciate what do you think about this. Thanks.

Brother and sister.PNG
  8. gogo000 Feb 24, 2017

I meant my watch has wrong seconds HAND and crown. Everything else is the same to other watch.