Forums Latest Members
  1. mariob_1 Nov 2, 2016

Hello,
    Here is another Omega inheritance story. This is a watch my wife received recently and I've been scouring the internet trying to find a bit more info on this model.
    We suspect it was purchased somewhere between 1965 and 1971 in Europe, most likely in Portugal. It seems to be running fine although we have no idea if it has ever been serviced. The bracelet is definitely not original and I haven't been able to find any other dial quite like it. The watch has a Seamaster designation but the design of the batons seem more of the Cosmic line and the secondary white register ring also seems unusual.

Any information is greatly appreciated,
    Mario

PA280975.JPG PA280976.JPG PA280977.JPG
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 2, 2016

A jeweler can take the back off of it and it will have the model number.

It's not solid gold.

3. dx009 Nov 2, 2016

Not all Seamaster watches are identical... Omega has released plenty of variations and more or less limited runs of the watch. Besides, I'm assuming that this one is a ladies watch judging by the pictures.

I'd say that the period is 1970s. It's probably 40 microns gold plated.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. rjok Nov 2, 2016

I'm a newb in these forums too, so take this for what it's worth. You should try to screw off the back and check the movement (I did it myself on an older watch, check my post on "estate sale haul" to see what it looks it). You should be able to do this by hand, and you won't break anything. You may want to very, very, very, gently try to clean some of the crud from around the case back first, but only if you're sure you won't scratch anything (I have used wooden toothpicks before). Once you see the movement number, check the vintage section on the official Omega website, or just search the forums. Good luck, it's a nice looking watch.

5. dx009 Nov 2, 2016

Judging by the pictures it's not going to unscrew easily. Either use the right tools or take it to someone with experience.

Foo2rama and chronos like this.
  6. mariob_1 Nov 10, 2016

Thank You everyone for your responses!

Just a quick update. We've taken the watch to our local Omega Official Repair and it's a Cal. 684, case type 5660033. Manufacture date is late 60's early 70's and the watch had never been serviced. It's running slow because lubricants have dried and it's due for a "clean-up".
    It's getting a new crown, plexi and hands that are currently too fragile, which all things considered is pretty astonishing for a watch in daily use for nearly 45years.

Omega still stocks the same dial for replacement but we're keeping it as-is missing lume and all. Hopefully it will run another 45 years at which point our 7 year daughter will have inherited her parent's love for a nice timepiece and can enjoy it as much as we do.

All the Best,
    mB

chronos, GuiltyBoomerang and JimInOz like this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 10, 2016

You may be right about Portugal, I think that's a Portuguese customs mark on the side of the lug.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 10.34.46 AM.png

8. mariob_1 Nov 10, 2016

Thank you, that's an interesting piece of information. I'll take a closer look at it once it's back.

mB