Forums Latest Members
  1. w.A.hughes Jan 4, 2017

Hi all,

Yesterday I was given an old gold Omega which belonged to my grandfather and his father before him.

It appears to be in a solid gold case, with an automatic bumper movement inside and a screw in case back.

I have been scouring the Internet for any information on the watch but have come up empty handed. It looks similar to the Centenary range from late 1940s/ early 1950s.

Is anyone able to help me identify this? [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

STANDY likes this.
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 4, 2017

That's a beautiful watch.

To really find out what you have there the back needs to come off. Please use a real, honest to God watchmaker to do this. Don't take it to the mall and have the battery change people do this. It probably needs a clean and oil at a minimum anyway.

The serial number on the movement will tell the age and there will be model info inside the back. Clear well focused pictures are what you want of the inside caseback and the movement.

If you share your location someone may have a suggestion for a good watchmaker sympathetic to vintage pieces like this.

3. w.A.hughes Jan 7, 2017

Got the case back off. Appears to be reference 2583 case with a 332 movement.

There appears to be very little information about this reference online. If anyone has any information to add it would be greatly appreciated!

I am in New Zealand. Good watchmakers are few and far between here, but certainly will look to have this serviced in the near future. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 7, 2017

Surely there are a few sheep who could repair watches there!

5. Maganator Jan 7, 2017

The sheep are too busy being serviced by the locals...:)

gatorcpa, Larry S, chronos and 4 others like this.
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 7, 2017

Glad I could set up the joke for you so well!

Maganator and terryb111 like this.
  7. tdn-dk Jan 7, 2017

8. DON Jan 7, 2017

Nice watch. Movement looks good for it's age. Crown incorrect, but do a search on the reference number and should find a few images with similar crowns.

New crowns are plated and not a great match, but when you have no other choice. Look for an older crown or leave the one thats on it.

DON