Forums Latest Members
  1. J&C May 2, 2018

This pocket watch was passed on to my from my grandfather and, although I know it's not in great shape, it holds a sentimental value to me. Has anyone seen one like this before that may have an idea on when it came into the market and/or any other interesting fact about it? Also, do you think it is possible to have the inside restored to its original look?

Thank you.

Photo May 01, 5 15 20 PM.jpg Photo May 01, 5 16 16 PM.jpg Photo May 01, 5 20 29 PM.jpg Photo May 01, 5 16 55 PM.jpg
  2. merchandiser May 2, 2018

I don't have much knowledge about pocket watches, but I do know that the enamel and gilt work on the case would have made this an expensive watch in its time. Personally I wouldn't restore the dial, however if you could locate a donor watch with the same size & style of dial, perhaps you could have it swapped out. Restoring dials generally degrades the value significantly. I'd take it to get a proper service and use it as is for now, just my two cents.

Edited May 2, 2018
  3. Canuck May 2, 2018

The case appears to be decorated in a manner similar to cloisonné, and then coated in niello. Unfortunately, the niello is not in the best of condition. I am not aware of any process for repairing the niello. The watch was used by someone who gave no thought whatsoever that anyone would ever contemplate trying to restore it. In fact, it looks to me as though someone set out to try to destroy it. The best hope for the dial would be to try to locate either another dial, or a donor watch. Given the condition of the dial and the case, I suspect the movement in the case likewise needs a lot of work. You don’t show a picture of the “works”, so it it tough to comment. With the right amount of money (read LOTS), and in the hands of the right shop (as in, try to find one), perhaps it could be restored. But it looks to me like a hopeless case. Too bad! If it was not so terribly deteriorated, it might have been possible to make a nice watch out of it. It would probably date from the early 20 th century.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 2, 2018

This is a niello case. Base metal is almost certainly silver. A brief explanation of how they were made can be found here:

http://nickhacko.blogspot.com/2013/04/niello-pocket-watches-3-buying-tips.html?m=1

I would think that today, that process would be illegal as the fumes released when the metal/enamel material is heated would be highly toxic. So it would be anywhere from incredibly expensive to impossible to restore that case.

We see a lot of those cases here as they were very popular in Latin America during the early part of the 20th century.
    gatorcpa

GregH, merchandiser and Deafboy like this.
  5. jimmyd13 May 2, 2018

What other have said about the case. The damage on the dial is in line with the dial feet. Fairly or unfairly, I always take this as a sign that the dial didn't start life with the movement and somebody's fu... forced everything to fit. In other words, barring evidence to the contrary, I'd say this is a bitza. Bitza this, bitza that and not at all original.

6. J&C May 5, 2018

Thank you all for your comments, they are very valuable. I guess I will have to keep it as a family memento only.