Forums Latest Members

Help identifying a vintage Longines watch...

1. Astromuzza May 2, 2017

Hello!

When my father came to Australia in the early 1950s he was given a Longines watch by his parents, a picture of which is attached to this thread. When he died I became the proud owner of the watch and I've since added a new band to it. Short of having the back taken off to see the serial number, I was wondering if someone might be able to identify the model and possibly year of manufacture from the attached photo...

Thanks in advance for any help on this,

Cheers,
    Mario

20170502_155457_001-1.jpg
  2. argonbeam May 2, 2017

I've never seen a dial like that, with the Longines font and hourglass looking just a little off as well. Never have seen 'antimagnetic' on the dial either. That being said, Longines movements were cased so many different places that this certainly could be one I've never seen before. A movement and inner caseback shot might help clarify, and Longines could definitely help clarify.

3. dodo44 May 2, 2017

A definite redial. Opening the case to check the serial number would give you the year of production and details on the model.

argonbeam likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 3, 2017

Can we see the back of the watch and the movement inside.....

5. Astromuzza May 3, 2017

Thanks everyone for your replies, they're very much appreciated.

At this stage I probably won't go to the trouble of removing the back to get the serial number as it was more of a general interest question. However, from the response I have received here and from Longines, it would seem that this is the only way I can determine its age so I may get a jeweller to take the back off at a later stage.

Thanks once again,

Cheers,
    Mario