Forums Latest Members
  1. Laharrier Apr 10, 2017

Hey guys. Been looking around this forum and figured I'd make a post asking some info. I found this watch at a flea market this past weekend for $180. I was pretty unsure on it and thought I'd made a big mistake but did a little digging and have myself thinking it could possibly be a 2802? I haven't been able to remove the caseback as I don't own a case knife and don't want to damage the watch with a pocket knife so I haven't opened it to confirm, but it does look as though it may have been redialed at some point? The markers and numerals appear to be in line with other 2802's I've seen photos of, as do the hands. I havent seen a brushed metallic dial like this however, and the printing of omega automatic and SWISS at the bottom look redone to me but I am not expert. The crown is definitely an replacement, looks like it's from a Wyler. Any info would be very helpful! Thanks a lot!!

IMG_3714.JPG IMG_3721.JPG IMG_3722.PNG IMG_3739.JPG IMG_3757.PNG IMG_3758.PNG
  2. M.C.B1974 Apr 10, 2017

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum, the dial is refinished, crown doesn't look original and I don't believe the crystal is genuine Omega.
    I would have certified watchmaker have the case opened to view the movement, you can get the reference number when you have it opened.
    Hope this helps some.

Laharrier likes this.
  3. Laharrier Apr 10, 2017

Cheers! The crown is definitely a replacement. Has a W on it I believe it's from a Wyler. My suspicions seem accurate regarding the dial. To what degree do you believe it was refinished? The hands and markers seem accurate, although they are silvertone and not gold like other 2802's I've seen online. Suppose you're right in that I must get the caseback off! Thank you kindly for the reply! Are watches with refinished dials still of any value?

4. M.C.B1974 Apr 10, 2017

I would think that the dial had the markers and emblem removed and was refinished and the parts placed back on the dial.
    The hands look correct but I cannot say for sure they would be the correct hands for this watch, Hopefully another member will comment on the hands.
    Refinished dials are not usually desired by high end collector and therefore does effect the value of the watch.
    I think the Arabic numerals make for a really nice dial but I think the refinishing job is not done very well.
    Still a very nice watch and a original dial could be found if you wanted to go that route. The case looks to be in nice condition.

Laharrier likes this.
  5. Laharrier Apr 10, 2017

Thanks a lot! I agree. Was a bit bummed about the printing on the dial but again, figured I'd take a chance as the case and caseback both seemed nice and unpolished. I have never owned a watch with a refinished dial so I was unsure on that aspect. I may just leave it as-is and wear it happily however I would like to replace the crown with the correct version as this crown is much too small

Thank you for the information again! I will see about having the caseback removed and get back to you

M.C.B1974 likes this.
  6. M.C.B1974 Apr 10, 2017

When you get it opened and get the reference number I can try to get you the crown reference number.:thumbsup:

Laharrier likes this.
  7. Laharrier Apr 10, 2017

Just spotted this for sale on eBay. Looks quite similar albeit it original patina

IMG_3760.PNG
  8. Laharrier Apr 10, 2017

Thanks a lot!!! Will report back soon

M.C.B1974 likes this.
  9. Willem023 Apr 11, 2017

If you look closely and compare, you will spot the huge difference in the lettering and the font. The OP's one is much more crude and less refined compared to the 2nd one.
    Btw: the 2nd one has -at least- most probably replaced/relumed hands and the seconds hand seems too short.

My2Ksh

10. Laharrier Apr 11, 2017

Indeed I agree the lettering looks crude. That's how I knew the dial couldn't be original. But perhaps the markers and arabic?

11. Laharrier Apr 11, 2017

Alright fellas. Took it in to the watchmaker today who opened it up. It contains a 471 movment and is a model 2802. He confirmed that the dial had been refinished but advised that the hands and markers are all originals

12. Willem023 Apr 11, 2017

Depending how to define 'original'.

I define 'original' as: 'like the way they left the factory al those years ago, the markers, the hands and the combination of hands and markers on this particular watch'.

I might vow that the hands and markers are from the Omega factory, but at the same time, the hour markers seem to be relumed at some point -they would not be this bright green otherwise most presumably. The markers itself might then be 'original', the lume might not.
    Up to anyone to define that as 'original' yes or no.

The hands are either with some black paint (original, but not in combination with these markers -they should have had lume too then), or the original lume turning black -not an uncommon thing to see, but usually not this even over the whole hands. I go for 'paint' then.

To sum up my assessment: markers and hands might be factory original but markers seem to be relumed and hands are most probably not original to this watch and/or not original in combination with these markers.

My2Ksh

13. Willem023 Apr 11, 2017

Just for reference: attached an 'original' dial, hands and markers on a cal 344, ref 2766.
    Notice the markers and hands, where you see the same/alike degrading of lume to blackish.

Schermafbeelding 2016-12-01 om 11.57.38.png

14. Laharrier Apr 11, 2017

Indeed! Thank you! I presumed the hands had original darkened lume and markers had been relumed with the greenish color, assuming that was done during the redial?

15. Willem023 Apr 11, 2017

Actually, you'll never know. If the previous owner(s) had the watch serviced every 4-5 years, it might have been done in different stages.
    But enjoy it to the fullest!!

W

Laharrier likes this.
  16. Laharrier Apr 11, 2017

Precisely!!! :) thank you gentleman!