Forums Latest Members

Help identify Omega Cal. 1430 Reference #192.912 BZ

1. Karenw Mar 12, 2020

Hi All! I recently joined the forum and have enjoyed reading many of the threads in hopes of identifying an Omega watch my father recently gave me. The watch was given to him and he does not know anything about watches. I took it to a local jewelry store and said it needed to be sent to Switzerland (i'm from Albuquerque, NM USA) to get it serviced however I could not afford the $550 cost AND I wasn't even sure if it was worth it. I have no idea of the value. I have tried to do some research on identifying the markings but thought this forum might help with more information and possible an idea of the value. I would like to get an original leather band for the watch but not sure if the $250 cost is worth it. If anyone has any additional information I would greatly appreciate it, thank you! - Karen

Calibre #1430
    Reference #192 912 BZ
    Serial #46518602 (based on that, I think it was made in 1982)
    Inside back cover has a 18k/750 stamp (I'm assuming that means it's solid 18k gold watch)
    Has other stamps I can't identify.
    Watch band is not original. omega front.jpg omega inside.jpg omega inside back.jpg omega side.jpg

2. Waltesefalcon Mar 12, 2020

I personally wouldn't send it to Omega to be serviced. Albuquerque is a large enough market that you should be able to find a good local watchmaker that can service this watch.
    To me the hallmarks look good, so yeah I'd say it is gold.
    As far as the strap goes, why do you want a vintage Omega leather strap instead of a new one? There are plenty of companies that make quality leather straps for far less than $250.

3. timecube Mar 12, 2020

Re: service
    Does it run?
    Quartz watches tend to need less frequent servicing, so it is possible the watch may be okay as it is. It's also possible you may need to call around to a few different watchmakers, as it's somewhat more difficult to find people who service these.

4. Karenw Mar 12, 2020

It initially wasn't running and I did not know anything about this watch so I thought it was best to take it to an official omega dealer however once I realized the cost to service it I decided to take it to my local watchmaker and get a new battery and it runs great so far. Local watchmaker didn't know the estimated value on it though.

Edited Mar 12, 2020
  5. Karenw Mar 12, 2020

I didn't realize how much it would cost to send to Omega to be serviced and am realizing a local watchmaker is just as good. I'm learning. Thanks.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  6. timecube Mar 12, 2020

There is also a distinction between watch repairers whose expertise encompasses battery and crystal replacement, and those who do complete disassembly, stripdown and refurbishing. The latter are what Omega Forums regulars usually recommend (and the former are what OF avoids). Sadly, $550 isn't outrageous for a full service (for mechanical watches- quartz could be cheaper. Local watchmaker should be a little cheaper). Whether that makes sense for you and your watch is up to you.

What it'd be worth in resale is approximately the melt value of the gold.

Karenw likes this.
  7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 12, 2020

I bought one of these, it's about the right age (double-check the size). He's got a bunch of them and they're in good condition. You'll likely be the only bidder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuin...156726?hash=item2d061dfc36:g:QZ8AAOSw9AxdBQWVPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

As mentioned, there are a ton of aftermarket straps that are nice. Hirsch is one of the best, and I like this dealer:

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk

Overseas shipping not bad, in fact, it might be included.

In the US, this is one of my go-to:

https://holbensfinewatchbands.com

Last, if you want a bracelet, you could do worse than this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-GP-S...923758?hash=item48e1ae062e:g:W1MAAOSwcv9eZ5a5Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

...with the understanding that most 18K watches were sold with straps.

So lots of things to look at.

Tom

Karenw likes this.
  8. Karenw Mar 12, 2020

Thanks! I’ll definitely check those sites out.