Forums Latest Members
  1. whatismyomega Jul 3, 2016

Hi everyone. New to the forum and looking for help. I recently inherited this watch - it was originally purchased by my great grandfather, but unfortunately I have no idea when. I believe it is solid gold, but again am not sure because the imprint is too small to read. The picture doesn't capture it well but the second hand is a lovely blue. The automatic movement has a very 'clunky' feel to it, meaning I can feel it wind as I move it around in my hand, completely unlike my mid-60s Omega Seamaster automatic. I've never seen an Omega quite like this one and was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what it might be, when it might've been made - anything really. Appreciate any insights, thanks for the help!

59a546dd-6ed1-4519-9bd1-1d97a9c8f24c.jpg df795a22-988a-494f-bbfb-ba95cb79c19c.jpg bb13c9f8-8415-4974-8e1e-08bf454dac26.jpg 0932a78a-a3ee-49df-b0b5-ebe034ab7b5d.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 3, 2016

A photo of the movement and inside of the case back will provide a lot more information.

3. ConElPueblo Jul 3, 2016

Lovely!

The "clunky" feeling is possibly from a so-called "bumper" movement, which is a earlier form of automatic movement than the full-rotor automatics. It looks to be in great condition, esp. the dial.

Are you from the US?

4. whatismyomega Jul 3, 2016

Yes, I'm from the US. I've tried opening the case to photograph the movement and case back, but it isn't budging and I'm wary of forcing it. The bumper movement! Yes that's what it must be. Sorry for the ignorance - I'm a watch newbie.

5. ConElPueblo Jul 3, 2016

Though far from an expert, the case looks to be an American made version, hence my question :)
    I believe these are 14K gold? Without a serial number, it is impossible to know the year of manufacture, but I'd say mid-fifties.

6. fjf Jul 4, 2016

And without a hallmark it is impossible to tell whether it is gold or gold filled. The case style and bumper movement says that the watch is likely from the late 40s-early 50s, but pics of the movement (with the serial number) and caseback (with model number, although early models dont have this one) are needed to know more. The dial looks refinished, something that was common practice at the time when servicing the watch. However, the very clean dial (lack of patina) indicates a more recent redial.

7. ConElPueblo Jul 4, 2016

Some of the minute indices look a little wonky, true...

The hallmark will be on the inside of the case back, I believe that gold filled US watches usually had that denomination either outside on the case back or between the lugs.