Forums Latest Members
  1. daveofedinburgh Dec 23, 2016

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello all from a total beginner/ novice/ noob!

Looking for some help identifying my newly acquired but very old Omega.

No idea if it's even real, but suspect it pre-dates replica/ fake watches (although may be naive on my part).

Watch runs but is fast, afew minutes an hour. Otherwise in rather nice condition bar afew scratches on crystal/ case.

A casual Google found the Omega reference 162.009 looks quite similar to this to my (very) untrained eye.

Any help identifying/ valuing this watch would be greatly appreciated. I'd ask for advice on how to sort the fast running issue, but I'm 99% sure it'll be 'take it to the watchmaker'!

Thanks,

David

mikechi22 likes this.
  2. SpeedyAV Dec 23, 2016

::popcorn::

mr_yossarian likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

Hi there. Let's see - decent pictures and avatar installed already..... we like you so far David!

A 162.xxx would be a man's automatic non-water resistant calendar watch so you're in the ballpark with that reference number. It looks like a 60's front loader (or maybe a snap back?) so it has a 56x inside.

It does NOT predate fakes but it IS authentic. Get it to a watchmaker to have it serviced. You're probably hurting the movement by using it while it's undoubtedly dirty.

EDIT: while it's at the watchmaker snap pictures of the movement and inside of the caseback that are clear enough to see the numbers.

Edited Dec 23, 2016
    Jwit likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 23, 2016

Quite a nice little Omega Automatic.

A clue to its value may lie here.

Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 2.18.37 PM.png

And on the subject of lugs, get rid of that flexi bracelet, they tend to chew holes in the lugs, especially on solid gold watches.

Your best friend right now would be a good watchmaker.

5. daveofedinburgh Dec 24, 2016

Thanks for you help thus far guys, a great welcome!

I shall take the bracelet off today- it's not to my taste anyway. On the subject of bracelet, it's about 17mm between the lugs- isn't this a rather unusual size (18mm would be more common)?

The case is approx 32mm without crown, but then you guys had probably worked that out already.

I've tried identifying the marking inside the lug myself, but no joy. I've attached a pic for the experts;

20161224_115721.jpg

6. mac_omega Dec 24, 2016

This seems to be an English halmark - but hard to read...

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 24, 2016

Not a conventional UK mark with date letter, there may be another inside but it looks like it says 9/375 obviously meaning the case is 9K gold.

chronos, kingsrider and Jwit like this.
  8. daveofedinburgh Jan 5, 2017

Nasty old flexi bracelet now removed as per JimInOz's advice, looks rather smart dont you think?

Took the watch to the local watchmaker, he has a reasonably good reputation (he has been recommended on here before, for example). Peter D Inwood near Edinburgh, if anyone happens to know of him...

When I told him about the running fast issue, he thought it may well be something he could fix by adjustment (spring?), possibly not requiring a full clean/ service. Thoughts on this?

I am also interested in getting the crystal replaced as its the only thing letting the watch down- the face itself is immaculate. How much should I be looking to pay for a new crystal fitted? Im guessing that contemplating replacing the original hands (which have some patina) is sacrilege?

IMG_20170105_150344 (1).jpg
    corn18 likes this.
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 5, 2017

Unless you know the service history, pay for a full service. You don't want to damage it. Based on my experience, a new Omega crystal should cost about $80.00, installed.

mikechi22 and daveofedinburgh like this.
  10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 5, 2017

You are almost there!. Get an Omega Crystal when you make the change, it's worth the added cost and that cost/investment will stay with the watch.

chronos and daveofedinburgh like this.
  11. daveofedinburgh Jan 5, 2017

I have no idea of the service history, so a service I guess is now the way forward.

The watch was bought in the USA by my Uncle way back in the 70s, he brought it to Scotland after purchasing and gifted it to my Grandfather.

My Grandfather was a coal miner/ boxer from a very working class area- my Mother reckons he'd have had no idea about Omega as a brand or understood that it may be quite a desirable timepiece (to some of us!), 'just a watch' to him.

I therefore sincerely doubt it has ever been serviced, so Ill stop running it altogether (its already sat on display next to my Grandfather's Wittnaeur pocket watch in a case).

padders seems to think its not a conventional UK hallmark- could this be due to being originally from the USA? It definitely reads 9/375 on close inspection, so 9K gold.

As far as the movement goes, I appreciate that without pics its difficult to say, but is the 56x up there in terms of quality? Im sure Ive read stuff about how some of those movements are considered all-time greats (although presumable not in this humble little 9K automatic)?

Finally- does this watch have a 'name', by which I mean Im fairly sure its a 162.something model, but do these little plain-Jane automatics actually have a model name?

12. corn18 Jan 5, 2017

I can't help other than to say that you might have the best avatar ever.

@kingsrider on the other hand :eek:

13. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 5, 2017

Alpha and daveofedinburgh like this.
  14. Maganator Jan 5, 2017

+1 for being in the Edinburgh crew

15. daveofedinburgh Jan 5, 2017

Thanks @corn18 , its a close approximation of what occurs in my own garage at home.

Wonder if @Alpha or @Maganator can help with Edinburgh recommendations?

16. daveofedinburgh Jan 6, 2017

OK guys, so @Alpha has kindly put me on to John Senior.

Ive been in touch with him and he has given me a quote for a service, case and crystal polish. I would post the price here, but not sure if thats frowned upon?

Now Ive had a look at comments on John Senior, and they seem almost universally positive, so Im sure he knows exactly what hes doing.

However Im a little reluctant with the case polishing bit. I said Im happy enough with the case as it has only light scratches/ marks. John said that he only gives the case a 'very light polish'.

What would you guys recommend? Hes gonna have the movement out, ultrasonic clean it and polish the crystal. Is it wise to have the case polished too? Just a bit wary as I see so many watch guys saying to avoid case polishing...

Make no mistake Im sure he knows what hes doing, but always like to get a second opinion!

17. Vicke Jan 6, 2017

I wouldn't have the case polished at all.

18. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 6, 2017

I have entrusted several watches, some of significant (to me) value to John in the past. He is very good at what he does, and he has a full understanding of what is ok or not.
    If he recommends a light polishing he is one of the few persons I would entrust to do so.
    Cheers

mikechi22, Alpha and daveofedinburgh like this.
  19. daveofedinburgh Jan 7, 2017

So the decision has been made to go with John, satisfied with everything Ive read about him.

Can I ask what other forum users would recommend doing re postage? I will be sending the watch to him, but collecting in person as by the time he's done the work Ill be in his neck of the woods anyway.

Is Royal Mail recorded/ special enough? Never sent anything worth a bit of money through the post before!

20. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 7, 2017

In my experience Royal Mail is thrust worthy.
    Never had any issues what so ever with them.