Forums Latest Members
  1. DSB Sep 20, 2014

Hello,

I am brand new to the forum. Several years ago I inherited 3 vintage Omegas from my grandfather. I will never sell these watches, so my interest is in proper restoration and information. The watches are a manual (wind up) Seamaster 600, manual Seamaster Cosmic, and battery operated De Ville Megaquartz 32.

All three watches work. I do not know exactly how accurate they are or how much time they lose.

First, thank you for your help and advice. Second, my intent is to get educated to better appreciate my grandfather's watches, and to ensure they are still around to pass down to my son. Please let me know if I have asked for too much information at once.

Now for the watches and my questions:

(1) Can you tell the approximate age of the watches?

(2) Can you recommend a stainless steel bracelet other than OEM Omega (I can't afford an Omega band)?

(3) Can you recommend a shop in the Los Angeles area or via mail order where I can have them cleaned and restored as necessary?

Seamaster 600

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seamaster Cosmic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

De Ville Megaquartz 32

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2014

They're 60s / early 70s, in terms of bracelets there are some reasonably affordable bracelets for some of those watches around the $100-200 range from Omega, not sure what a cheaper alternative would be, maybe aftermarket steel mesh for cheaper.

3. DSB Sep 20, 2014

The Seamaster 600 has a mark on the face just to the left of the "Seamaster." It looks like it might be some water damage. Is that repairable, or would I have to have the face replaced? Is it even possible to have the face replaced? Is that one of those repairs or replacements that costs more than the watch is worth?

Thanks for your help!

4. Hexicon Sep 20, 2014

Hey DSB. I know that little mark is probably driving you nuts. But I would leave it as it is. Do not try to change the dial at all. It is wonderful to have a "Perfect" dial but it is normal to have a little mark here or there. And collectors are well used to this. Just try squinting your left eye when you look at it ;)

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 20, 2014

+1.......just leave it as it is now, you should learn the art of wabi sabi if you want to appreciate vintage watches.
    In the mean time (with no time pressure) search the famous fleabay and other sites for original dial replacement. If you got it then you can replace with correct authentic replacement and keep the original dial for sentimental value.

6. DSB Sep 21, 2014

Do you have any recommendations as to where to take them / send them for service? I'm in the Los Angeles area, and would prefer to take them to a shop in person. However, it there's a shop that people really like that does mail order work, I'd certainly consider it.

How do people feel about Polywatch for trying to clean up some of the scratches on the crystal?

Thanks for all the advice!

7. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 21, 2014

Interesting Megaquartz but not Megaquartz, the dial read Megaquartz 32 but a: I haven't seen a dial like that before and b: if it was a 32KHz then it would have twin trimmers one about and one below the crown

8. DSB Sep 21, 2014

dsio,

Can you point me to where you are finding Omega watch bracelets in the $100 - $200 range? The genuine Omega stainless steel bracelets I'm seeing are in the $300 - $600 range. If I could find a genuine Omega stainless bracelet for under $200, I'd be very happy.

9. Varasc Sep 22, 2014

I have a very similar Cosmic, although with Roman numbers. Nice watches.

10. Wongo Sep 22, 2014

Both mechanical watch house good work horse movement.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 22, 2014

I think you're looking at modern Omega bracelets, the vintage ones are far more affordable. I'm not sure the specific endlinks and bracelets that fit this model but most 60s and 70s ones are in that sort of a range.

12. DSB Sep 23, 2014

Thanks for the info. I'lll see what I can find.

13. Dr No Sep 24, 2014

I'm sending a watchmaker recommendation via e-mail.

Cordially,

Art

14. anthony2014 Sep 25, 2014

Very Nice!