Forums Latest Members

Help identify 1980s omega watch from my grandfather. Worth?

1. Pkim1230 Dec 28, 2016

It says omega automatic geneve. It works well. He passed away in 1992 and this was given to my mother and she just gave it to me after finding it. I'm wondering if this was a nice watch at the time, and how much it costed, and how much it costs now if there's any value. Also, there a lot of scratches on the glass. Could it be replaced? Leather band replacement also a good idea? Thanks. (it says swiss plague g) on the leather band clip. 14829409547662033552611.jpg 1482941009868-1716864781.jpg

2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 28, 2016

Hi there, why do you care how much it's worth? It's your grand father's watch and it works nicely, what else do you need?

Looks nice to me even though there are a few nicks in the case (people here would say it's been "loved" and well worn), it appears gold plated, scratched crystal can easily be changed but I can't say more. Hopefully others can.

Whatever strap you like is the strap you should have on it. This one looks like good quality leather (perhaps genuine alligator? what does the back of the strap say?). And it matches the style well. Why not keep it?
    The buckle says "plaque" which is the French word for "plated", so gold plated again but does it have the Omega logo on the front?
    Best regards,
    S

Edited Dec 28, 2016
  3. novina Dec 28, 2016

I agree with what @Syrte had to say. Looks in good condition along with the band. Plated buckle would be correct. Most likely the watch also, but reserving that call until we have a picture of the inside case back. The glass could be brought back to life with "poly watch" polishing cream. It has been covered here before, you can search it. Suggest having the movement serviced, cleaned and oiled, and wear it in good heath. In present condition, would put a value of anywhere from $400 - $600. A service should run in the $250 - $300 dollar range. For more information, we need to see more pictures of the sides, back, band etc. Would really need the case back to come off, it has the model number on the inside of the back. Serial number and caliber(movement designation) number right on the movement. Would hope you are keeping it, but that's your call. Just so you know, value should always go up, as good original condition Omegas are becoming rarer with time.

Pkim1230 and chronos like this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 28, 2016

I would add that service costs vary widely depending on where you live.
    In a big European city service can be triple the price than in a provincial town. In France for example, 100 euros to 350 euros. In Eastern Europe service costs are comparatively very cheap.