Forums Latest Members
  1. newlyn Dec 14, 2014

I am trying to date and identify the model and movement of this Speedmaster, which was my grandfather's. My apologies for bad photo quality. As best as I can figure, it may be 1969, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the model info, nor have I ever taken the back off. The bracelet is a 1116. I am also trying to determine whether it would be worthwhile having it serviced at the factory. Omega Speedmaster 4.JPG Omega Speedmaster 1.JPG Omega Speedmaster 3.JPG Omega Speedmaster 2.JPG Many thanks.

2. wwhntr Dec 14, 2014

It is impossible to determine date and identify model without the case reference # found on inside of case back. The case back appears to be clean of scratches/marks, so I suggest you take it to a reputable watchmaker in your area to have the case opened. (Where are you located? Someone here may be able to make a recommendation.) Ask for the #'s on inside of case back, the 3 digit # caliber on movement, and the 8 digit serial # also on movement.

Is the watch in running condition? Do you know how to start/stop/reset the chronograph function? Do you plan to keep as family heirloom or do you plan to sell? These are a few questions that will determine which direction you go next. I WOULD NOT take/send it to Omega for service. Omega would likely destroy the "originality" of the current appearance with new hands/dial/etc, ruining the value if you plan to sell. There are qualified watchmakers that service the movement.

Watch appears to be in nice cosmetic condition and the hands/dial/pushers/crown may be original. If the large chronograph hand is original your watch may be earlier than 1969 with the more desirable caliber 321 movement.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 14, 2014

It is likely to be a (later) 145.022-69.

Send it to STS if in the UK or Europe.

Elsewhere ask here for suggestions.

Nice watch and will improve nicely with a sympathetic service.

richardew likes this.
  4. repoman Dec 14, 2014

I'm with Spacefruit, this one is pretty easy to date, its an all original, later '69 transitional. The combination of the pre-moon caseback, the painted logo on dial, short dial markers, and drop style chrono hand pretty well give this one away. If it hasn't been serviced in a long time (or ever, which is likely) then yes, get it serviced. I'd suggest you don't have it serviced by Omega, they will return it to "like new" condition, which means they will replace everything on this watch that makes it interesting. Depending on where you are, I'm sure forum members could recommend watchmakers that could perform an expert servicing, and preserve the vintage value of the watch.

Cool watch, welcome to the forum.

5. marturx Dec 15, 2014

Fantastic example. Likely ref 145.022-69 as stated by the Gentlemen above. :thumbsup:

I especially fancy the untouched, crisp, case. Do yourself a favour, and don´t let anyone touch it with a polishing purpose. If you do, you are likely to regret this in the future!

Don´t change anything on it, as it´s all (factory) original in its present condition, and that fact (+ of course the condition) contributes much to the value of the watch, which is getting higher and higher by the day (almost).

A bath (case and bracelet in the ultrasonic cleaner), a light polishing of the crystal + a service of the movement, will do nicely on this one.

richardew and JimInOz like this.
  6. newlyn Dec 15, 2014

Thanks, all. Yes, it is in working condition. Keeps time and chronograph works fine. I wear it every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas in memory of my grandfather, but otherwise it stays in the original case through the year. This year I have noticed that I need to wind it a bit more frequently, maybe every day, to keep it going. I have no intention of selling it, but I also don't want to ruin its value.

I am in the US, near Philadelphia, specifically the Main Line area. Any recommendations where to take it?

TLIGuy likes this.
  7. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Dec 15, 2014

This should be a 145.022-69 '220 bezel error'. Movement probably between 30.5 and 31.0 millions.
    Chrono second of the old type, very late for this model

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 15, 2014

I didn't even spot that rare bezel!

(Schoolboy error!)

This bezel was only fitted for a very short time, until I suppose someone realised.

9. Georgieboy58 Dec 15, 2014

Also missed that bezel again. There was another one around here a few days ago.

10. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Dec 15, 2014

Yes probably made in one block series and fitted during about 6 months since August 70

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  11. richardew Dec 15, 2014

Beautiful watch! I also live in the Philadelphia area. I had all of my speedmasters serviced by Precision Watch Repair in downtown Phila. Just after they serviced my last c321 purchase, they "joined" Govberg. (http://www.govbergwatchrepair.com/p...7F73AcQiqlFgEP3lmDjFuCzyPA9oCmIBt1RoCI4Dw_wcB)
    Govberg watch repair is around 7th and Sansom sts. I haven't been there yet, but if it is indeed the same watchmaker(s) they are great with speedmasters. The big problem with Speedmasters is getting parts for the older c321 movements. Your watch looks like its' a 145.022-69, as has been pointed out previously, and would have the c861 movement. Getting parts shouldn't be an issue. Another member of the forum (whose name I don't remember) from the Phila. area uses another watchmaker who is also located in downtown Phila. near Jewelers Row. Again, don't let them change anything. The hands on your watch, in particular the sweep second hand, are vintage and that style hasn't been used since ~1968. The bezel is RARE! Just get the movement serviced and the watch cleaned. Routine service usually includes replacing the crown, pushers and crystal. These parts all have non renewable seals and contribute to the watch's water resistance. Since it is a watch you wear, albeit not all that much, you want to protect the integrity of the interior of the watch. When they put the watch back together they will pressure test it. Using the old parts with their non renewable seals might result in a watch that fails the pressure testing. Since I wear my watches, I usually have them replace these parts when they service the watch. I don't place a lot of value on keeping the crown, pushers and crystal original. Since they will return all of the old parts to you, you still would have the original parts available, and have a usable watch. In fact, you will have an amazing watch that is one of the most robust chronographs made. These watches were rigorously tested by NASA and passed. You could wear that watch every day and it will last for decades more.

12. daswunschkind Dec 15, 2014

:) Well, yes. Again a bezel with the 220 error. Haven't spotted it neither.
    The case and everything looks great. I definitely would go with the previous speaker.
    Don't let serviced with new parts. Would kill all the beauty.