Forums Latest Members
  1. zrollins Jun 25, 2019

I just came across this on the web and would like to see if anyone could tell me anything about it.
    Didn't this movement start in the mid 40s?

Photos are limited.

Here is what I have for information:
    Omega Cal R17.8 17 J
    Markings on back: 14K Gold Filled S&W
    Markings on inside: Omega 661943

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dan S Jun 25, 2019

3. zrollins Jun 25, 2019

No, I have not bought it or bid on it but please elaborate on why someone shouldn't buy it?

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 25, 2019

I suspect for starters because it is a horrible-looking redial. And the deterioration of the dial. And the soldering iron damage next to the top lugs. And there are likely a few other things.

DaveK likes this.
  5. Mac5 Jun 25, 2019

To be polite, it's best days are long gone. There are much better examples out there. Be patient......

6. Henneth Jun 25, 2019

There is nothing good about this watch, neither the case nor the dial. The movement is most likely no standout either so why should someone buy this?

7. zrollins Jun 25, 2019

Don't worry about being nice or offending me haha I defiantly don't take it personal.
    Time to time I may ask some ignorant questions and that is because the vintage Omega area is defiantly not my area of expertise and that's why I like to follow up with asking for more details on some of the comments.

I did notice the redial to start with as I always look for consistent dial and I'm not a fan of redials on any of my watches in general. I don't mind a dial "looking its age" but there is a fine line and a balance to me which depends on the model if that makes any sense. The thing I missed in the photos which a can't believe I didn't see were the top lugs. :unsure: - With that being said, prepare for the question... can that be salvaged and cleaned up or would you be looking for a new case?

Honestly, the dial is what I was looking at and with the bids being low, my follow up questions would have been for someone to try and narrow down the model for me and then start searching/pricing for a nos or better dial and crystal for it. I don't know what a better example of this model would bring so figuring out the balance of what it could be bought at and replacing the dial and crystal would cost would give me an idea if I would bid on it or not.

DaveK and Walrus like this.
  8. Walrus Jun 25, 2019

Hey don’t worry it’s cool. I have very little knowledge myself but already learned quite a few things. That soldering is something I never saw before. As a matter of a fact lug damage is something I never picked up on till I put some pics up here. I think sometimes we get scolded by the vets as these things are second nature to them. I once saw this vintage seamaster and got a bit enthralled as it wasn’t polished, had patina and had a good price. I put up a pic here and only then did I notice the horrible lettering. It caught me off guard as the dial looked aged properly but the writing was horrible. I actually picked it up right after I posted it and took a good look. Live and learn.

DaveK likes this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 25, 2019

Not the best phrasing on my part. I initially wrote the redial sentence, but then I went back to the pics and decided to point out a couple of other things. I did not intend for it to have a condescending tone. I was actually amazed/ amused by the extent of issues with it, and was chuckling in my head about what a poor example it is while I was writing.

10. AriTheWatchmaker Jun 26, 2019

Just consider it needs a dial or refinishing of the dial. Otherwise I dont know what the others are so turned off by. If you like it at the price and condition it may turn into your favorite watch, but the dial is not in good shape regardless

11. zrollins Jun 26, 2019

No worries. When I posted this topic, the auction had about 6 hours left (setting at $23 w/ very few bids). In the last hour or so movement in bids started and it ended at $103 (34 bids total - no bids from me).

12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 26, 2019

Well, the strap has nice character, and maybe for $103 the buyer also got a nice buckle...I hope s/he got what s/he wanted.