Forums Latest Members
  1. smowery13 Oct 19, 2017

Good afternoon, I am on the search for my first vintage Speedmaster. I have narrowed down my preference to a cal 321 movement and have found a couple listings on Ebay I would like to share and solicit any advice. This is still a learning process and an enjoying part of the search so I am open to comments Thank you!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SPEE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Pre-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SPEE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Om...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Davidt Oct 19, 2017

Welcome! What has your research so far told you about each of the watches?

It might also help if you post a picture of each watch so people don't need to skip back and forth between four listings.

Seaborg likes this.
  3. smowery13 Oct 19, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 15.45.05.png Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 15.44.31.png Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 15.44.04.png Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 15.43.35.png
    So far I have learned to look for the time period correct bezel, in this case DOT with accent of E. Step dial, and lume most likely with patina unless "relumed". Correct?

4. Seaborg Oct 19, 2017

The 321 is an excellent choice.

I can only agree with @Davidt.

Welcome on board :thumbsup:

5. smowery13 Oct 19, 2017

And thank you for the warm welcome from Omega! The vintage Speedmaster will be joining my '06 Rolex Datejust Turn-O-Graph as the start to my collection.

6. Seaborg Oct 19, 2017

As far as I can see, I prefer the patina of the second one. The DON bezel is nice. The 1039 bracelet associated is valuable.

The first one has his plots washed.
    The third one has a problem with the miniute hand (some lume has flaked off). The chrono hand has also a crack on the lume.
    The last one : no more lume on the hands... The dial has also a defect close to OMEGA...

Definitly the second one for me!

(you will also need some shots of the movement...)

Cheers

7. Seaborg Oct 19, 2017

By the way, I can only recommend you to take a look to the following amazing blog by a distinctive member here (@Spacefruit ):

http://speedmaster101.com/

You will find all you need there :thumbsup:

SW4323 and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 19, 2017

Welcome.
    You need to examine each with forensic care, using this guide:
    http://speedmaster101.com/assessment-guide-2/

To help you along...this is my cursory assessment of the first watch. See if you can do the others:

What is it? Well the seller declares a 105.012-67.
    There is no such thing, it looks like a 65 or earlier, with the wrong pushers. Probably earlier becasue of the dial (Short Space T marks)
    Serial is illegiaable so we cannot check the range.
    The bezel is greyed out and not fine. Some dont mind owning this, but the value has to be adjusted down. At least it is correct.
    Dial looks like an early one (which is good) but you need some proper photos so to judge the actual body colour and check those plots have not lost all the lume.
    Also are the hands vintage or replacements.

The seller - does he inspire confidence with his ignorant description, low feedback and the fact he is a Miami Watch dealer, who does not share the serial? (No offence intended to any Miamians or dealers).

You need to follow the steps outlined in the link above.

Good luck, and tell us what you think.

Also its waaaaaay better to post photos under each link. We all have ADD. I didnt even click on the rest of the links, just the first.
    If you are after free knowledge (which is happily given by the way), make it really simple for us!

9. Davidt Oct 19, 2017

For the second watch; I like that it's non running and the dealer states they sell items "as-is". It means it's not prepped for sale, and has a higher likelihood of having original part.
    That said, the pictures are rubbish and it although most of the parts appear correct for the reference (with the exception of a replacement chronograph hand), it's hard to be sure of condition.
    Most of the lume seems to be gone and at least on my phone, I can't tell if the marks are on the dial or the crystal.
    The bracelet is a nice addition but without better pics ordering it in person, you're taking a gamble on the condition.

10. smowery13 Oct 19, 2017

I really appreciate such quick and informative responses. I will definitely check out the speedmaster101 website to learn more as I continue looking. From the feedback given, I feel like I should continue searching for a 145.012 in better overall condition. I'll continue to keep my eye out on ebay as well as forum fs posts.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 20, 2017

The best way to learn about Speedmasters, or anything, is to look at as many as possible - and if you can afford it, own one that you can really get to know. (Good or bad - in my case I got a good one, but it was followed by a bad one that taught me even more).

There is nothing like having a watch on your wrist to learn about lume, colour and quality, dial quality, case polish and general attractiveness.

Then, when you see other watches, you will be comparing, and learning and its much easier with a bench mark on your wrist that you know really well. Often feeling that your watch is not as good as you would like, or if you are really lucky, then it will have one or two shining characteristics that are better. This works especially well if you are an obsessive compulsive like me.

By pure luck, ok, money, this was my first. At the time I paid Euros 9000 which made it about $7000 at the time, and a standard -69 was $1000-3000 on ebay.

1-P8230007.jpg

For a novice to buy a great speedmaster first time out you need luck, and/or more money than an experienced collector would pay, a little common sense, and a knowledgeable trustworthy seller.

If you only ever plan to buy one watch, find a trustworthy person, and over pay, and get the watch that sings to you - one that gives you delight when you hold it.

The watch above is still with me, while others have come and gone. It is still the most attractive -69 I own, and I have no regrets about overpaying. (I Admit, reaching the no regrets took a year because I hate over paying in general, but in this case it paid off).

And read everything on this site and others, participate and you will find the watch you need. (note: NEED)

12. stefman Oct 20, 2017

This is why I love this place. Nice friendly guys ready to give great advice.

Good luck in your search OP

13. smowery13 Dec 5, 2017

Could I please poll a quick batch of opinion on this piece I am interested in on Ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OM...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

"For sale is a vintage Omega Speedmaster Cal 321 and Ref 145.012-67 SP. Watch has the famed DON bezel and is all original. None of the parts or pieces have been changed or tampered with. The watch just came back from a full service and cleaning and is functioning properly.

It is in overall excellent condition. The dial is in immaculate shape and has beautiful patina on the market and seconds hand. The hands still contain their original lume but have darkened to give the look of classic see through hands. The unpolished case is in good condition with only scratches on the back case. The original crystal has not been polished and has minor scratches.

The watch has an interesting backstory. Has had only 1 previous owner. Worn in Vietnam while stationed in the early 1970s and the stored in a box for the next 30 years. Picture of original owner wearing it in the 70s can be seen in the photos."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dan7800 Dec 5, 2017

First rule I'd tell you is to not believe a word posted in the Ebay listing. You need to determine the info/authenticity for yourself.

15. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 5, 2017

Have you looked here in the FS section? Noles88 has/had one listed not too long ago.

chente and watchcollect like this.
  16. smowery13 Dec 6, 2017

Just looking for a second opinion on this particular find before I decide to make an offer or not.

17. Davidt Dec 6, 2017

Youve had a couple of months of evaluating these now, what are your thoughts on it?

18. Edantony Dec 6, 2017

The second one is in my own personal opinion the most aesthetically pleasing. You should also go for what is pleasing aesthetically (I know captain obvious)

19. smowery13 Dec 6, 2017

Well on this one my thoughts were:
    All original parts- good
    Dial correct with applied logo and the wide spaced T
    Bezel correct and in good condition
    Movement clean
    Missing- bracelet, box, papers/archive extract

20. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 6, 2017

Ok, amateur hour here but I find the watch looks ugly, the lume plots are not attractive and am amazed the seller can describe that as immaculate shape. Similarly the movement just looks kind of tired and dull as well as there being a few different shades of colour in there.
    Is there nothing for sale in the FS forums here?