Forums Latest Members
  1. Gauvain Apr 27, 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy this vintage Genève cal.1030 and would like a small authenticity check :)
    Do you notice anything out of place or strange ?

this watch is selling for 350€, the crown is a signed one. One thing that bothers me is the number in the case, being 136 0088, I can't find anything about it.

The bracelet is an aftermarket one and sold as such.

Thanks everyone !

IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0532.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 27, 2017

Your title is written incorrectly. Your first post should be titled this way: Help!!! - future buy - Omega Geneve
    This properly conveys the urgency to get feedback. It lets members know the poster has already bid on said watch but is having second thoughts because they acted without doing their own research, although all necessary information is in the photos, and now needs someone to pull their ass out of the fire.

3. Gauvain Apr 27, 2017

Hi efauser,

It's not a bid, nothing is urgent and I did spend quite a lot of time looking for info about this watch. However I'm still pretty new in vintage watches and I have not a keen eye for omega details yet, such as letters details, etc. There are also so much Genève models that I have to admit I'm a bit lost.
    Sorry If it's been misinterpreted, I was just asking for advice and for more seasoned Omega watches collectors opinions.
    Thanks anyway

4. lillatroll Apr 27, 2017

Hello
    I think the reason you cannot find anything about it is because the watch refrence is probably 136.0104. If this is the case then you have to wonder what else is wrong with the watch. The wrong case back, of which there is a NOS one for sale on eBay and the lack of close up pictures would have me giving this one a wide birth unless some rational explanation was forthcoming.
    If it is actually a 136.0104 then it was produced in the mid to late 70s has nice straight lugs and came on either a nice steel bracelet or black leather strap. You could find an all original for around 4-5 hundred euro all day long any day of the week.
    Hope this helps.

Gauvain likes this.
  5. adi4 Apr 27, 2017

In general, I think it's best to approach this from the opposite side of picking the model you have your eye on and then patiently searching for it. Sure, sometimes something pops up that catches your eye, but if it's a model/brand that you're unfamiliar with, you're taking a risk. And unless it's some super rare model that comes up for sale once every few years, it's better to bide your time and do thorough research on it. Even if it is super rare, you're still taking a big risk by not doing your research beforehand. Narrowing down to a specific model or at least line helps significantly in focusing your efforts, and that coupled with patience will eventually pay off.

On the Geneve above, I would just be patient in looking for an all original example (once you know what that should look like) and just learn from what might be wrong on this particular example. I personally have no experience with Geneve's, but I'm sure what @lillatroll said above will send you in the right direction.

Gauvain likes this.
  6. Gauvain Apr 27, 2017

@lillatroll : thanks a lot for your insights. This strange serial number intrigued me and you confirmed my doubts. I have asked the seller for more detailed pictures and will examine them closely :)

@adi4 : I know I'm taking a risk, this is why I preferred to ask before confirming the purchase, since I saw the watch yesterday in person and had some doubts. Since I'm no expert, I'd rather have some advice than rush into it. I narrowed it to 70s Genève and Seamasters but as I said before, I'm not eyt familiar with all the models, especially when some are really close from one another. It's a part of the charm I guess :)

Thanks to both of you for your time !

lillatroll likes this.
  7. Gauvain Apr 28, 2017

Got feedback from the seller, It's a 136.0099, he didn't read it properly.
    Now the omega website indicates this model with a press-in caseback when the one on the watch is screw-in.

8. StrutlessWonder Apr 28, 2017

"Buy the seller" is also something to keep in mind.
    I'd pass on this one and keep looking.

9. Gauvain Apr 28, 2017

10. lillatroll Apr 28, 2017

For a watch in this price range I still think I would pass on it because of the wrong caseback. Even if I was just going to have this for a daily wearer it still would need a service and I would want a correct replacement strap so it's not worth all the investment when I could find a more complete example for roughly the same money.

11. Gauvain Apr 28, 2017

Thanks lillatroll. I just turned down the sale. I'm not that impatient and can wait a bit to find one in a more complete state.

Thanks everyone for your feedback

lillatroll likes this.