Forums Latest Members
  1. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 3, 2018

looks like we have a stolen 1940`s rectangular Caliber 20F watch somewhere vanishing in the USA in the USPS system.... just received the news. was restored here in Australia with dial, case and movement service work. from one of our USA members. and was earmarked for his daughter as a gift..... first scan was in NY and the last one a few days before christmas in missouri. arrived today empty in a postal plastic bag without anything. will get more infos, where that actually was discovered and noted within the USA. the owner will post a pics of the unrestored watch a bit later. i post now a pics of the restored dial; not a common one. has nice blued steel hands. ( forgot to take a pics in restored state before posting.....) SAM_4621.JPG the most telling and easy to spot feature might be the band and buckle: i put it on a late 1940`s Light grey leather band with grey stitching across the spring bar section as well. . NOS. and we fitted a early 50`s steel buckle , with the omega sign prominent welded on. quite a stunning combo. unfortunately..... my quick post is for all USA based Dealers and Collectors to keep their eyes open for this watch. somehow i think, we will get it back. if somebody sells that, take a picture with your phone and note the dealer. i have no problem to buy it back as well. as long as we can rectify this situation. more news as they come to hand..... So, dear Forum, try your best to find it again. kind regards. achim

chanbar, Jwit, murph and 5 others like this.
  2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 3, 2018

Jwit and Baz9614 like this.
  3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 3, 2018

2 more unique things..... the very domed plastic crystal has 2 visible stress marks. not broken, but stress marks. easy to see. that will be very unique . case slightly polished. crown the same; well used. thanks for any help. kind regards. achim

Jwit and UncleBuck like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 3, 2018

Bummer!

I really hope it was a USPS mistake and it will turn up somehow.

UncleBuck likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 3, 2018

:(

UncleBuck likes this.
  6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 3, 2018

Sorry to hear that Achim. I'll keep a look out.

UncleBuck likes this.
  7. Gordon Heavyfoot Jan 3, 2018

I'm in Missouri and often hit up pawn shops, watch shops and the like. I'll keep an eye peeled.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 3, 2018

Hate to pour gas on the fire but this is why using anything but Fed Ex is such a problem. Hiking boots for repair ... no problem with USPS but jewelry/watches? No way.

Rman, GuiltyBoomerang and murph like this.
  9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 3, 2018

USPS with Registered for CONUS is great, and I have never had issues with Priority Mail, except for once.

Int'l is a different story...after the Seiko that disappeared for 9 months en route to AUS that showed back on my doorstep, I am FedEx only from now on.

GuiltyBoomerang, Kmart and dan7800 like this.
  10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 3, 2018

The Hazelwood hub is very possibly where it happened.

Tik-Tok of Oz and watchyouwant like this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 3, 2018

Can you post a picture of the movement and/or the serial number for positive ID, if the watch does show up somewhere?

We’ll look out for it.
    gatorcpa

12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 3, 2018

I'm afraid this is it:

DSCN0169.JPG

Thanks, Evan and to all, especially Achim!

Jwit likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 3, 2018

Don’t tell me you were the buyer of this wayward Omega! :(
    gatorcpa

14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 3, 2018

I actually bought it years ago from Warren.
    It sat in the box until Achim graciously offered to clean the tobacco off the dial.
    As my daughter had expressed a fondness, I sent it on a journey hoping to bring it back from the dead to a new life.

Jwit likes this.
  15. Maganator Jan 3, 2018

Bummer.

USPS ‘lost’ a Longines diver of mine. Provided no assistance trying to locate it either.

16. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 3, 2018

so far, australia post registered international with internet tracking and USPS was always good. never a problem in the last 20 years. let`s hope, that will be the same this time and the removed/fallen out and very well wrapped omega is somewhere in a postal facility in the USA and waits to be delivered....... just in case it is stolen; that was the purpose of my posting here.se rectangular ones are not the rage in the eyes of normal citizens. therefore it might turn up and everything Omega International is here on this forum. kind regards. achim

UncleBuck likes this.
  17. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 3, 2018

Sorry to go off on a tangent (and I really hope this watch turns up), but it highlights the usefulness of writing either the 'from' or delivery address on each layer of packaging. While it is not so easy on bubble wrap, it can be accomplished by adding a sticker and/ or some string, or just being really careful with a fine-tipped Sharpie. It will not prevent deliberate theft, but will hopefully keep postal workers honest should that come across contents that have been separated from their boxes/ envelopes, plus it gives them a starting point for making sure the contents get delivered in the end.

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 3, 2018

@BlackTalon’s advice is very well taken. If this was simply a damaged package where the watch fell out, USPS would have no way to deliver it without an address.

At that point, USPS would send it to the “dead letter office” where it will sit for years and likely will be auctioned off as unclaimed property.

Unfortunately, you’d be better off if it really was stolen. At least there would be a chance of recovery.

Such a bummer.
    gatorcpa

watchyouwant likes this.
  19. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 4, 2018

that was done. but only one of these yellow sticky thingies with one small sticky section with receivers adress. might have been damaged as well and came off the bubble roll...... but the Dead Letter Office is another option. thanks for that tip. kind regards. achim

20. GuiltyBoomerang Jan 4, 2018

That Seiko is still here :)

As for Australia, AusPost do a great job handling international. No lost items (yet) and if that happens I'll go to DHL.