Forums Latest Members
  1. MCO1 Apr 23, 2014

I am new to the forum and could use some assistance. I know pics always help and I can post some later if needed.

I purchased an early Seamaster 300(thin bezel) from a friend of mine a few years ago for next to nothing. He received it for high school graduation around 1959 or 1960. When I got the watch it was basically a case, caseback and original movement. The bracelet, crystal, dial and hands were missing. He supposedly took it to a watch maker to get the dial redone and the fellow skipped town with the dial.

I sourced a new but original Omega dial, gladiator hands and crystal for the watch. I had it cleaned, serviced and put back together and it runs fine and has been a good watch. Of course the old original bakelite bezel insert was missing as well.

Now to where and why I need help. I have seen all original versions of this going for the $2000 to $3000. I know mine being not all original is no where close to this but where on the spectrum might it fall in value? I had originally decided to sell it but after doing more research I have found a fellow in Italy that can restore the bezel. Would it be worth having the bezel restored? Would that add value to the watch? Is the watch in this condition worth messing with or should I just cut my losses and move it on to someone who just wants an Omega and doesn't care about the fact it has newer parts?

Your advice and council is much appreciated.

2. cristos71 Apr 23, 2014

I think pictures would help greatly, it is very difficult to put a value/comment on something without seeing it.

Depending on which thin bezel version you have will help to determine the value too as there are various versions/references each with different values.

Any pictures will be better than none but an inside case back picture here would be very helpful to determine what you have. As well as a picture of the dial/hands etc.

Chris

3. speedbird Apr 23, 2014

Without pictures it's sorta like saying. "I have a car, it has wheels, what's it worth ?"

Upload ad some quality photos and the folks here will guide you well.

4. MCO1 Apr 23, 2014

Thank you and very good point, cars are always a good reference for me as they are one of my other addictions. I will get some pictures up tonight of the watch. I am not much of a photographer but I will do my best.

5. Jimmy Jim Apr 23, 2014

Just make them as close and as clear as possible and the responses will start rolling in.

6. MCO1 Apr 23, 2014

I hope this is enough, I have some other pics but they are very similar to this. This gives an all around look at the front of the watch, the case is in good condition. I do not have a watch tool to get the back off which is stamped correctly though worn down from time and wear. I know the back and inside would be ideal to get the exact numbers and a look at the movement which looked pretty good when it was all sealed up. Your thoughts would be most appreciated. Not that I bought it as an investment, really just more to give great old watch new life. I am afraid I have a parts watch here that I am a little concerned about putting $400 into for a bezel restoration. However, that would make the watch look correct though still not more than 50% original. So in the end I know I don't have a $2000 to $3000 original. Do I have a $500 parts watch or less or maybe something in between?

Thanks in advance

028.JPG