Forums Latest Members

Help From Chicago Members...

1. vbrad26 Oct 10, 2018

Ok, so I'm a big pizza guy. I used to live in Manhattan so I have had all kinds of NY style.
    I've NEVER been to Chicago, but will be there in a couple of weeks for a meeting.
    So, with my very limited time there I want to try to figure out the ONE place where I should go for authentic Chicago deep-dish.
    I will be staying at the Hyatt Centric - Magnificent Mile. I get in late Wednesday night and leave Thursday evening, so I have time for a possible late dinner, and then lunch the following day.
    From a quick Google search, I see that there is a Giordano's and a Gino's East pretty close to the hotel as well as a Pizza Uno and Due (what's the difference?)
    Those seem to pop on on all "the best" lists and I'll probably just go to one of those unless told otherwise.
    So, any suggestions? Also willing to take suggestions of anywhere else I should check out...food only hah.

2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 10, 2018

It's funny, I've lived in and around Chicago most of my life and despite TV shows and travel magazines claiming that deep dish pizza is the signature local food, I don't know of anyone that eats it regularly, and very few that prefer it to thin crust pizza. As for signature Chicago foods I'd vote for a Chicago-style hot dog or Italian beef sandwich ahead of deep dish.

All those places you mention are fine, I would lean toward Giordano's because they give off a less touristy vibe and they make a good thin crust pizza. My favorite pizza in the city is D'Agostino's. They have deep dish but they are known for their thin crust.

vbrad26 likes this.
  3. vbrad26 Oct 10, 2018

I don't discriminate, I'd be down for some thin crust as well!
    There is a D'Agostino's a couple of miles West of the hotel, I'll check it out if I can.
    Was definitely planning on getting a dog at some point.
    Thanks!

Andy K likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 10, 2018

Jersey Boy here married to a Boston girl. Residents since 2001. For us its Pizza hell out here, although we are finally getting Roman style wood fired Pizza. A new York slice is unobtainium. @Andy K is right (Dogs and Beef). Chicago is an amazing restaurant town so don't limit yourself. If you must. Pizzeria Due at Wabash and Ontario is great. It was my first Deep Dish and still comes out bubbling and delicious. When you first move here you inhale the stuff until you realize that one slice is like half a pan of lasagna. I've not had a slice in years. We love living here but not because of the pizza.

vbrad26 likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 10, 2018

An Italian Beef is really special, order it wet with Gardinera. (Cheese Steak without the guilt...sort of)

STANDY and vbrad26 like this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 10, 2018

vbrad26 likes this.
  7. Sublime_1 Oct 10, 2018

Cook County Jail;)

vbrad26 likes this.
  8. Jimos Oct 10, 2018

I'd second what Andy K said, I'm from Georgia and have always preferred NY pizza. Went to Chicago for business this year, walked to Giordano's and we ordered one deep dish along with two NY style pizzas. Everything was really good.

image.jpeg

vbrad26 likes this.
  9. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 10, 2018

Yeah, the 18 months I wasn't living in the Chicago area was spent in NJ, and I learned that there is no good way to get NY style pizza in the Chicago area, and vice versa.

I am really fond of the thin crust pizzas that originated in the south suburbs - family style places like Aurelio's, Sanfratello's, etc. They tend to have thin crusts that are crispier than NY-style, really good and spicy sausage, slightly sweet sauce, and cheese that is slightly burned. And by IL state law they cut the slices into rectangles and not triangles. :D

10. vbrad26 Oct 10, 2018

Pizza Due is definitely on the short list. It is one of the closer places to the hotel.

Noted, thanks!

A little far out (for a walk) but I'll keep it in mind. Thank you!

O...M...G...I need that in my life.

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 10, 2018

a bit far, but doable. my wife and i did it no problem. AND, it's right across the street from an old Al Capone hangout. the mythology says that his bodyguards used to hang out at this place keeping an eye on the front door. :D

vbrad26 likes this.
  12. vbrad26 Oct 10, 2018

I'm just on a bit of a tight timetable.
    My flight does not get it till 9-something PM.
    And then I have meetings all the next day till a have to leave.
    The meetings are at the hotel I'm staying at.
    That's the only reason I was looking for something close by.

oddboy likes this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 10, 2018

Too bad ... it’s a fantastic city.

14. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 10, 2018

I can also recommend Pizzeria Due. It's not as crowded on weekdays. It has the same owners as Uno, but I'm not sure of the differences.

My favorite pizza here, however, is from Pizza Capri (in Hyde Park and Lincoln Park).

15. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 10, 2018

Oh, if you have any other free time during the day, try to go to Swiss Fine Timing, on Walton St between Michigan Ave and Rush St.

Larry S likes this.
  16. vbrad26 Oct 10, 2018

I know! I wish I had more time. It would have been nice to stay an extra day but I need to be back at the office on Friday.

Ok it's looking like Due may be the winner here so far.

Hmm I might have to if I have some free time! It is not too far from the hotel.
    I see they sell Tudor...maybe they'll have a new Black Bay GMT in stock hah!

17. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 10, 2018

They did have one on a strap last Tuesday, but I suspect it's gone now...I got to try it on. ;)

6C4E5A35-33BF-4E5B-B987-8EA37DCD24B6.jpeg
    vbrad26 likes this.
  18. kippyk Oct 10, 2018

I am a Chicago boy and have eaten at every restaurant mentioned. I used to live right by Pizzeria Uno. They are all good and slightly different. Pizzeria Uno & Due are owned by the same people so they are the same pizzas. They can get real crowded so I would only go when it is late to one of these.

Giordano's: Largest local chain...not my favorite crust but still good
    Bacinos: "Under the radar" place but my go-to for stuffed spinach, garlic, mushroom.
    https://www.bacinos.com/home.html#!about
    Lou Malnati's with Butter Crust:
    https://www.loumalnatis.com

Many people will say Lou's is the best....

Check out the Billy Goat....maybe one beer here.
    http://www.billygoattavern.com/locations/

Go to this bar (by Omega store):
    https://streeterstavern.com

bazamu, Andy K, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  19. vbrad26 Oct 10, 2018

Oh dang I was joking! I might HAVE to go now!

Awesome info, thank you for the suggestions!

20. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 10, 2018

If you have a similar hunger for Italian food, then try Spiaggia. One of the few American restaurants to have earned a Michelin Star.

I believe your Hyatt is in the same location as the old Park Hyatt. If so then it's also within walking distance or a very short cab ride.

vbrad26 likes this.