Forums Latest Members
  1. memphis61 Dec 26, 2016

Good morning everyone, my name is Hartwell and I am addicted to vintage OMEGA watches.... This is a new addiction, one in which I can't wait to learn more about. I was vey close to buying two different vintage ONEGAS from EBay , but I figured I should at least seek out help from an experienced community before I do anything foolish. I've searched through parts of this forum for these specific sellers, and found no info. So, here are the two watches I was looking at...the second one just ended this am...but I don't think it sold, so I expect him to put the watch back up in a while. What does the collective wisdom say? In the meantime, I'll be acquainting myself with the different parts of the forum. What a GREAT site! Thank you very much in advance for your time. And by the way..if anyone has any questions regarding vintage acoustic guitars...I'm your guy! Thanks.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-c-195...%3A3c0e9ab01590a2a474f6aeadffcfc276%7Ciid%3A3Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1954-35mm-Ome...3A3c10d5021590a6228f3e0ba7ffd2e195%7Ciid%3A23Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Jwit likes this.
  2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 26, 2016

Both are redials. Look for something else. The advise all newcomers get here on OF is to buy from the private sales section on the forum. Great sellers and watches are the real deal. You literally don't find a better place to buy, if you are new to vintage watches.

memphis61 likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 26, 2016

The listing for the second one states that the dial is refinished, so it would be a pass for most collectors.

memphis61 likes this.
  4. SpeedyAV Dec 26, 2016

Welcome!, but select an avatar for yourself before you get shite from the fellas here (trust me I learned the hard way)...perhaps one of a vintage acoustic guitar :thumbsup:

memphis61 likes this.
  5. memphis61 Dec 26, 2016

Thanks for the replies so far! I'll get an avatar asap, don't want anyone yelling at me! Haha. Thank you for the advice so far, and not surprisingly, very similar advice I'd give a novice guitarist. And what exactly does a redial mean? And what effect does that have on the mechanics of said watch? Sounds like I need to read a very basic introduction to watch construction.... I'm going to consult the oracle (Google) and see what I can dig up. Thanks again!!

6. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 26, 2016

Google speedmaster 101 and start reading there... Most of the stuff is universally true for other models. (I just mention that to piss Dennis off ;))

There is also a good site on imega constellations (by Desmond) ... Both are good primers

Redials are basically re-painted dials - to make them nice and shiny...

Welcome!

memphis61 likes this.
  7. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 26, 2016

Redial means that the dial has been repainted/redone. Sometimes it is done nicely and sometimes it looks like shit. Either way it significantly reduces the value of the watch with collectors. Some people don't care though. As often as not the seller, on EBay for instance, doesn't say it is a redial and it can be really hard to tell sometimes.

8. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 26, 2016

9. memphis61 Dec 26, 2016

This is great! Thanks for all the info, folks!!