Forums Latest Members

Help finding a Speedmaster Mark II Racing Dial aged chrono hand

1. Misterred May 23, 2015

I am looking for a used and aged chrono hand for my Speedmaster Mark II Racing Dial. The current one on my watch is a white replacement and it bother me. Now I am looking for one aged, yellow-ish, example. I have informed at some local Omega certified watch makers here in The Netherlands. But they only have new ones. But I don't want that. Perhaps here someone has had his/her Speedmaster MK 2 racing dial rebuild with new hands, and is willing to sell one of his original yellow/orange hands? Would be great to hear from you! IMG_20150516_191843.jpg

2. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 23, 2015

When you say chronohand i suppose you mean the center second hand . All the hands can be bought from Cousinsuk . But they are orange unfortuanly . May there is someone or something that can speed up the ageing process so it becomes yellow .

3. Misterred May 25, 2015

Yes I mean the center second hand. And that is the chronographs hour dial. I found several place where to buy a new, orange, hand. But I don't wnat to ruin the vintage look it has. If anyone knows anyone who has a magic trick of speeding up the aging, that would be a great alternative to buying a yellow-ed old example! Please let me know if you have any tips and trick or acquaintances who are able to do so.

4. Sherbie May 25, 2015

Why not try painting the one you already have? There must be some paints that will match the oher hands, or try starting with coffee or tea?

5. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 25, 2015

Sorry . But i didn't think it look so bad . My bad . I thought you wanted to exchange the sub hour hands and the sub second hand . From the start wasn't the sub minute and sub hour hands and chrono hands orange ?

6. Misterred May 28, 2015

All chrono hands were originally orange. All main hands were white. Although I don't think it looks bad now (you see far worse examples; all orange hands, all white hands), I want my beloved Mark II to be as original as can be. So I want to replace the chrono hour hand, which is white now, with a orange/yellow hand. But perhaps it's best to eventually buy another used Mark II racing dial, use one of its orange/yellow hands, and sell that one again. I don't have a lot of faith that used Mark II hands appear on the market a lot. But perhaps guys who had their watch restored and don't want to have the old hands, are willing to sell me one. Don't know.

rogart likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 28, 2015

I'd let go of mine, but before restoration, the hands were all white, so not of much use to you.. they do come up on ebay now and again. You could also look into getting a newer orange hand sympathetically aged to match more the colour you want.

Best of luck! It's a great little watch!

Misterred likes this.
  8. Misterred May 28, 2015

Thanks Oddboy. I'll keep an eye on eBay of course. And perhaps I can find a crappy Mark II that I can use as a donor on eBay or on Uhren Börse in Koln or Dusseldorf anytime soon.

9. d4uk Jul 1, 2015

Yep I had a. Similar issue of mismatched sweeping second hand.. STS repainted mine so unfortunately not got one to send you.

10. Misterred Jul 1, 2015

Thanks d4uk. I have a new strategy: there are quite some Mark II racing dials offered on eBay that have been fully restored. I am contacting the sellers to see if they still have the original hands. Up to know no luck for me, but two of them are taking a second look. And in the end there must be a seller who restored his watch to sell it, and still has the original parts. I am sure it will work out one day. And in the mean time I already acquired a Seamaster Anakin so I am not bored at all:)