Forums Latest Members
  1. allenfangwiz Aug 19, 2012

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

The movement looks good and matches the case, so that's a good thing. I can't tell if the dial is original though, you can't zoom in and the pictures aren't too big to begin with. Definitely a better watch than your last though.

allenfangwiz likes this.
  3. bob martian Aug 20, 2012

I am not sure that is the correct movement for that case. I would be careful buying overseas. I am under the impression that a lot of the watches from the U.K. are actually from India.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

I think you're on the money with that assessment

5. bob martian Aug 20, 2012

MKelley likes this.
  6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

What's that based on ?

The only watches from India I come across are on eBay UK, where the seller's location is usually specified.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

Talking about watches assembled in India and then pushed into the public, the type of watches GatorCPA and others refer to as a "Mumbai Special". These watches flowing into the UK discretely and being sold on the much stronger open market in the UK makes a lot of sense

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

I understand that logic, but that doesn't mean it's actually happening to any real degree. Also, I'm not sure what the outlet for sales would be - unless it's eBay ?

The jewellers and shops selling vintage watches I have been looking at for the past few months don't seem to selling these sorts of items.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

eBay UK mainly

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

Fair enough. I have a lot of reservations about private sales on eBay from any country.

11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

MKelley likes this.
  12. bob martian Aug 20, 2012

I was referring to my suspension that sellers in India and China claim to be in the U.K. Not just watches, for many products sold on Ebay. They also claim to be in New York and Houston, Texas.

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

Yes, I bought a watch claiming to be in Oregon that came from Argentina. It was a great watch and legitimate, but it could have been a problem if customs took it, as technically you can not import a Rolex into the US, unless it is on your person. Yes this not right, but Rolex claims that any watch not imported by Rolex USA is counterfeit and the US Department of State and Custom goes along with it.

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

Oh really, how did they get around customs in that respect? was it a Rolex?

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

The don't. Customs rarely opens packages, like used watch. And even then it would depend on the Agent.

Well, yes.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

I've gotten pretty lucky with that before, its not the same deal here but I imported a watch once that had $500 on the value and in big black magic marker it had written on the front of the box "ROLEX WATCH"

Not only did it get through customs but it was on the sidewalk outside the house when I got home, no joke, a brown cardboard box with ROLEX WATCH written on it, where pedestrians would have to step over it.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

That's not quite the reason that customs can refuse entry to non-Rolex USA imported watches. The way I understand it, most watch companies now own their own USA distributorships. In other words, the owners of Omega USA are the same as Omega Bienne (aka Swatch).

Since the US importer is directly related to the manufacturer, they cannot claim trademark protection on imports of grey market watches. However, Omega did attempt to claim copyright protection in their case against Costco through the use of a special marking on US-designated watches. Even this was only partially successful, as the US Supreme Court deadlocked on Costco case..

The above is not true for Rolex at all. The Swiss entity, Rolex SA, is owned by a Swiss Charitable Trust, while the owners of Rolex USA are private and unknown to mere mortals like us. As a result, under US trademark law, the US company has the right to bar entry to products not officially sanctioned by Rolex USA, even if produced by Rolex SA.

It's a subtle distinction from a consumer's point of view, since both watches were made in the same factory by the same people. However, it's a big deal to the US trademark holder, Rolex USA. I think at one point, Customs claimed that Rolex USA and Rolex SA were one and the same. Rolex later won a case against the US Customs (1986) by proving that the entities were not one and the same.

ftp://opinions.ca5.uscourts.gov/pub/92/92-2266.CV0.wpd.pdf

Since that time, Customs has strictly enforced the policy outlined here:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/CustomsToday/2002/February/other/christmas.xml

"Right" and legal are two totally separate concepts,
    gatorcpa

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

Thanks Evan for the clarification and detailed refinement , that was the way I heard it and it was probably passed through several hands. I guess it boils down to Rolex USA does not want you shipping in watches, used or otherwise.

19. ulackfocus Aug 20, 2012

Yet another reason why I no longer collect Rolex.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 21, 2012

Hey what are the rules concerning shipping watches to the USA customs and tax wise, do you pay import duty on watches sent in via USPS, and if its for repair and return, (like if I shipped a Constellation for servicing to the USA with the intention of getting it back) does that come into play?