Forums Latest Members

Help... Does My Watch Sound Alright?

1. robinhook Jun 7, 2019

OFers,

I noticed that my watch is making some strange sound after the Mitsukoshi Mod. The sound used to be just like crisp and clear "tick tock" (as I remember, but memory is not that reliable I have to admit), but after the mod it sounds a bit wonky. Moreover, the sound changes in different positions. If I flip it over, the "wonky" sound increases as if some part (could be hair spring or balance wheel) adds a level of vibration. I recorded a video here:

Does it sound normal, should I be worried?

Some additional information:
    1. I purchased this piece (Sapphire Sandwich 311...006) new from an Omega AD in Dec 2017. So about 1.5 years old.
    2. Before the mod, the watch was running 12-15s/day fast, amplitude was ~295-300 degrees.
    3. After the mod, it's running 18-20s/day fast, amplitude increased to 310-320 degrees.

The watchmaker I used claims that he did not touch the movement, and the sound is normal and refused to provide any additional service/correction. I guess Omega warranty (2 years for this piece based on purchase date) is out of the question since I modded the watch.

What are the OFers' suggestions about how I should proceed? Thank you!

Robin

2. robinhook Jun 7, 2019

Seems it is an odd question...:D, so I PMed @Archer and got my answer. The verdict is, if the watch is running fine, i shouldn't be worried.

Good to hear that. I'll leave the post here for future references, in case someone is such an anal and perfectionist watch collector as me ::facepalm1::.

3. krh7 Jun 7, 2019

Good job with video and sound. I have a few that sound the same when positioned differently. It bugged me, but brought one of them to one of the only master watchmakers in Chicago and he listened and said the same as Archer.

Are the 1863 movements really 15-20 seconds fast and OK? What is the acceptable range before warranty?

robinhook likes this.
  4. robinhook Jun 7, 2019

Well, it's comforting to know at least there're others behaving the same way... Thank you!

I think the 15-20s/day rate is a bit out of the spec, but I just did not bother having it go through the warranty/regulation process. I figure this is only 1-2 days in my rotation and I'll get it fixed when servicing it in the next few years.