Forums Latest Members

Help deciding on new speedmaster purchase

1. NS120780 Aug 22, 2018

Will be my first speedmaster, Currently have a sub 16610. Wanted some opinions on what forum members think. I have tried on the DSOTM & Moonphase. I like the sleekness of the DSOTM but worry that the all black is a current trend and won't be timeless. I liked the moonphase a lot, but it doesn't really have the traditional speedmaster look given how the dial is setup. I haven't found the co-axial speedmaster in steel/steel to try on anywhere but its another one I'm interested as I really want to go with a 44mm.

Would appreciate any advice/thoughts from forumn members.

Thanks!

2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Aug 22, 2018

Have you tried them on?

3. NS120780 Aug 22, 2018

I've tried on the DSOTM and the Moonphase. Am still torn haven't seen the Regular speedmaster Co-Axial.

4. gostang9 Aug 22, 2018

I have tried on both the DSOTM and Moonphase. I liked them both, but not enough to buy either one. They are both very large watches. If you need my advice, guess I’d say don’t go for either.

5. vbrad26 Aug 22, 2018

If you want a Speedmaster that looks like a traditional Speedmaster than get a Professional.
    But if you don't want a Pro my vote would go to the co-ax but in steel/steel.
    If it had to be between the DSOTM and the Moonphase I would get the Moonphase.
    However since you already have an S/S Sub the DSOTM may be an interesting addition to the collection.

Basically, I don't know what to tell you....

Marty McDawg likes this.
  6. Marty McDawg Aug 22, 2018

To me the Dark Side of the Moon would be an awesome addition to a Speedy collection. A collection that already had one or two or three others. I wouldn’t want it to be the only representation of an Omega Speedy.

It would make a nice compliment, but the all black dial would be hard to read and not something I’d reach for daily.

That said, it is one I could see myself buying on day. Just not right out of the Speedmaster gate.

Just my $.02 :)

vbrad26 likes this.
  7. vbrad26 Aug 22, 2018

That is a great way to put it.

Marty McDawg likes this.
  8. boogedyboo Aug 22, 2018

I really like the the DSOTM but I have heard some horror stories about when the case gets damaged. It costs a bomb to repair/replace.

9. ext1 Aug 22, 2018

I've had the DSOTM for a year then sold it.

What was great about it was that it was immune to scratch so it looked the same from the day I bought it. But the AR on the crystal did scratch very very slightly (only an OCD person like me will notice) and this happens to other AR models in omega's models. Timing was really good on it too. Looked great too. It was the only modern omega I ever bought and enjoyed.

What wasn't so great is that I had to baby it a lot because I knew a drop will result in insta-death for the guy. Hence deployant clasp was a must instead of tang buckle. Also it's a piece that really attracts attention (so flashy, so shiny) and that can be a good and bad thing. But what really was the kicker, was the value...I had to sell it much much lower than what I bought for. This made me lose my faith in modern, un-discontinued omega. After this I switched to full vintage. I sold the DSOTM to fund my 105.002. I don't regret it at all.

Marty McDawg likes this.