Forums Latest Members
  1. BareNecessities May 11, 2016

Hi everyone, would greatly appreciate some help making sure this is legit. I'm going in to see it in person later this week. Is there anything in specific I should ask the dealer? Would it be worth $650-700?
    Dial
    upload_2016-5-11_7-22-19.png
    Case Back
    upload_2016-5-11_7-22-34.png
    Horizontal on Strap
    upload_2016-5-11_7-22-56.png

Thank you!

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. GuiltyBoomerang May 11, 2016

Hi, welcome to the forums! I'd ask your dealer if the watch has been serviced they could open up the watch so that you can have a look at the moment as well as the caseback inscription.

On first look, there's a big brown patch on the dial that may suggest water damage or loss of varnish, as the dial looks slightly odd. I'd also ask if the watch case has been polished, as the back and lugs look a bit too clean. I also find it strange that the Swiss Made wording on the bottom only has T on the end and not at the front.

I'm not too great on the value of the watch...it could be a bit less than what the dealer thinks its worth.

Hope this helps!

3. BareNecessities May 11, 2016

Guilty thank you! I got a little more info - it has been polished and the crystal replaced. It has the Automatic Caliber 550 movement.
    upload_2016-5-11_8-2-0.png
    Is there anything I can look for to identify any water damage? That sounds serious.

4. GuiltyBoomerang May 11, 2016

In terms of water damage, stains on the dial and/or movement are apparent. Especially in components of the movement, there can be rust if the water has been there for a long time. Over on watchguy.co.uk ( a watch repair blog maintained by a fantastic watchmaker) there is a picture of rust damage on a dial:

[​IMG]

...which doesn't appear to be the case in your watch. The movement does look quite clean and shiny. That patch on the dial may just be the patina setting in then. In small leaks, you may get an uneven, greyish looking stain that runs along the edges of the dial- at least, that's the case in my partner's watch.

Ask your watch dealer if they know the service history of the watch - if the crystal has been replaced before there's a relatively good chance the previous owner took some care in keeping it.

BareNecessities likes this.
  5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 11, 2016

You should ask the dealer why have only two of the hour markers got the original black inlay?

GuiltyBoomerang and Tiny Iota like this.
  6. peatnick May 11, 2016

Welcome to the forum Bare!

For reasons noted by Guilty and Dennis you may want to keep looking

Easy way to understand value is search sold auction items on ebay

Similar watch sold last week for under $300
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-DeVille-Waterproof-/172186896276Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If you spot an active sale that interests you just post a thread here with pictures and ask for opinions

Lastly, pick an avatar before one is picked for you . . .

7. TNTwatch May 11, 2016

There's no black inlays at 2 and 10, it's just some reflection on the markers. But there's some dark gooey material around the 9 marker that may be a bit of concern.

The case is a bit polished, but should be fine for wearing.

8. BareNecessities May 11, 2016

I tracked down this dealer's ebay page for this watch. The pictures confirm there are no black inlays. Here is the page: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-S...ILLE-AUTOMATIC-WITH-SILVER-DIAL-/262327715271Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I can handle the polish because I will be wearing it to work frequently, not really a collector yet. A bit of a premium I don't mind either because this dealer I can actually visit and see first hand. Some piece of mind would be nice for a first time vintage purchase! Is there any other cause for concern?

9. cimo May 11, 2016

I think it's a decent watch but the price is high. There seems to be lume missing from the minute hand. These in steel without a date complication go for anywhere from 280-350 on eBay in unserviced shape. Is an already serviced watch worth twice the price to you?

10. ConElPueblo May 11, 2016

This one isn't serviced either.

I'd say it's somewhat overpriced. With vintage watches, I often have trouble identifying what the dealer mark up is caused by...

11. BareNecessities May 11, 2016

The dealer did say it was serviced recently but I'm turned off by the large markup. Thank you guys so much for the input. Probably will keep my eyes peeled for the next one.

12. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip May 11, 2016

One thing you might want to consider is browsing through the Private Watch Sales section on this forum. Generally great people to deal with, typically fair pricing and you know what you are getting.

13. peatnick May 11, 2016

Another similar one sold today for $405

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...utomatic-Wrist-Watch-Keeps-Time-/322097179791Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If the dealer is nearby and you and is offering some kind of a warranty you could bid him $450, bring cash and be prepared to walk out if he doesn't sell at a modest premium to the market.

If its over 50 miles away (100 round trip) you can probably just keep looking, the hunt is really the better part of this hobby :)

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.