Forums Latest Members
  1. Nozzer1 Jul 3, 2017

hi, I am looking at going for a speedmaster professional for my next watch but am kind of stuck on wether to go for plastic version or the sapphire sandwich or a newer edition coaxial version. I like to keep my watches in good condition which is why I'm a little put off the plastic but then people put me off the sapphire due to the halo around the face due to the shape of the glass.
    I understand the newer ones are more accurate and only need servicing every blue moon instead on 2 years with the manual but is it better to go for the manual instead?
    Thought please as it's quit hard because no one ever stocks the sapphire sandwich so if I ordered it I would have to buy it and don't want to wish I'd gone for the plastic or modern one

2. arcadelt Jul 3, 2017

There are many threads on many forums addressing these choices. You really should consider doing a search and you'll see that opinions are divided, more so in favour of hesalite, but advice is generally that you should consider your personal situation.

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 3, 2017

^this

4. TheWatchMaven Jul 17, 2017

Hey bud. I own the sapphire sandwich. I truly love it but the hesalite is amazing as well. I actually held both the sandwich and hesalite in my hands 2 days ago and yes, the sandwich has a halo but that doesn’t mean it takes anything away from the watch..the hesalite on the other hand has a nice rounded vintage crystal feel and is very nice as well. You can’t go wrong with either one but the Omega community may tell you to go with history (that would be the hesalite) or the sapphire if you want a crystal that is far less prone to scratches but to tell you to the truth, you need to go with what give you goosebumps. My suggestion, go to an Omega boutique or an AD and hold both in your hand and see which one gives you the willy’s. Either way, you cannot go wrong with a Speedy! Here is my sapphire sandwich.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 17, 2017

What's this service every 2 years for the manual you mention above as I have never heard that..

6. arcadelt Jul 18, 2017

Perhaps he means coaxial automatic vs manual 1861, although not sure about the veracity of the timeframe - sounds like dealer spin to sell a more expensive watch.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. sgrossma Jul 18, 2017

As long as it has a sapphire display back, I support it.